Ac Clutch or AC Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello-
When I turn on my AC I get a whirling sound that has gotten worse over time. I am guessing this is some bearings wearing out? Is it possible to replace the clutch bearings with out replacing the compressor? Also is there any trick to figure out which part has gone bad besides just replacing it piece by piece? There is no sound when the AC is off.

rob3827

Reaction score
I had a similar problem......my a/c would whine and chirp when I turned it on and the compressor engaged. I figured that I would change the cheapest part first. That part was the belt tensioner. I replaced it and the whine went away. The old one would not spin freely, it was shot. Hope that this helps

asheman11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine does the same, has been for about a year. Ive replaced the tensioner also. I think it is the bearing IN the compressor, not the clutch. I'm going to replace my compressor, accumulator, orfice tube, and maybe the rear ac expansion valve (if you have rear a/c).

They sell kits on ebay for like $200

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some more information on this. When the AC is off there is no sound or vibration, everything is normal even with the fan operating. I opened the hood with the engine running and turned on the AC. When the AC kicks in the engine starts to shake. Would the pulley cause these or should I just replace the compressor? When the AC is off but the fan is running there is no vibration or sound. AC clutch maybe?

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to add some notes. The vibration seems to be happening even when the AC is off, just less. When I rev the engine between 700-1000RPMS it seems to be most noticeable then goes away after you pass 1000. Could this be the IAC?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are experiencing the same problem I have been dealing with for the last 3 days! My chattering/sprinkler sounding noise happens most often after coming off of idle in about the 1000-1500 range during acceleration. Still blows out ice cold air, replaced my tensioner for the AC belt since I saw it going nuts only when the noise was happening and that didn't solve it, and also checked my AC coolant level and it was perfectly full.

Looking around for anything I can do to my compressor less of full replacement, searching the web and on here. If I find anything that might help us out, I will be sure to post up on here for you as well!

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that the worst problem is only when the AC is on should rule out the clutch. Chances are its the compressor itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65