ABS light and "service 4wd" message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 suburban LT 4x4 5.3 120k

sometime back in the spring, I was going down the highway and the ABS light randomly popped up... didn't think much of it and over the last few months it has been off and on

yesterday, we got our first real snow of the year, so I engage the auto 4wd as im coming home, and I notice the truck is pulling very hard to the right, then the "service 4wd" message comes on... I drop it back into 2wd and everything is fine. get home, shut it off, restart and message is gone, put it in 4wd, still pulling hard right, then ABS light is flashing like crazy, service 4wd message re-appears

the last couple weeks I have noticed a sort of humming noise (almost like mud tire noise) that is obviously a rotating sound but it is not my tires, they make their own road noise LoL... wondering if that could be a CV joint/wheel hub or something along those lines

could the ABS light be related to my 4wd issue, and I just never knew it bc I haven't engaged the front axle since that light initially came on? if not, would a jacked up CV axle cause pulling to one side? could the light be some kind of sensor? thing is, when the light goes off, ABS works just fine, but when it comes on, I can lock em up and skid all around on the snow

***idk if its pertinent, but I did recently raise the truck back up from being lowered to a key/spacer stance***

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panzerwagen