ABS activation at ALL speeds, the usual sensor/hub problem!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Herman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I really don't want what to do anymore. 6 months ago I bought a 2005 Escalade with active braking (RPO JL4). Since day one I had brake and traction system troubles. At first the "traction active" was the problem. After replacing both wheel speed sensors, this topic was solved, but another one began...

After fixing the traction problem, the ABS started to activate randomly during braking AT ALL speeds, not only at low speeds like usual ! Sometimes I feel a brake pedal kick back.

Intermittent DTC codes shown even AFTER replacing the hubs:

- intermittent C0035 "L / R Wheel speed sensor"
- once or twice I had the code 0455 "steering wheel position sensor"
- just once C0110 "pump motor circuit"

BUT most of the time no DTCs are shown, because the truck obviously doesn't know that the ABS is active when it shouldn't be.

Actions taken until now:

- Cleaning ground wires below driver seat at the chassis
- replacing both front wheel hubs and wheel speed sensors with aftermarket parts TWICE!
- deleting all DTCs every time

What else could be the problem?

- are there more grounds in connection with the EBCM?
- maybe my rusty brake lines?
- is a broken wire likely? If yes, what are the common spots? Its more or less impossible to check the complete wiring of both ABS sensors and I ever read something like that happened.

I want to stop throwing parts like the steering angle sensor or the EBCM unit etc. into the car.

I have searched nearly ALL forums, but almost every ABS problem is finally solved with replacing the hubs and or sensors. Not in my case... I know I can simply pull the fuse, but that is not a long term option!

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering wheel position sensor, or YAW sensor, sounds like the culprit to me. These can cause all types of issues, where the system thinks its in one position, and is looking for a certain brake bias, and none exists because the steering wheel is not in that position.

I dont know how good this video is, but it might help.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
I’d start by getting my hands on a scanner that can show wheel speeds. Then go drive and duplicate the concern. My guess is that the signal from one wss is dropping out. If so then you can start testing the associated circuit

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I really don't want what to do anymore. 6 months ago I bought a 2005 Escalade with active braking (RPO JL4). Since day one I had brake and traction system troubles. At first the "traction active" was the problem. After replacing both wheel speed sensors, this topic was solved, but another one began...
Did you use GM parts?

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
@Herman escalade 2wd or AWD? Some aftermarket hubs intended for 4wd/AWD take issue with not having an axle nut helping to hold them together

OP
OP
H

Herman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Steering wheel position sensor, or YAW sensor, sounds like the culprit to me. These can cause all types of issues, where the system thinks its in one position, and is looking for a certain brake bias, and none exists because the steering wheel is not in that position.

I dont know how good this video is, but it might help.

But why is the ABS activation only random? Either the position sensor is faulty or not? I did a 1500mls road trip in two days without any troubles, next day again problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Herman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Herman escalade 2wd or AWD? Some aftermarket hubs intended for 4wd/AWD take issue with not having an axle nut helping to hold them together
Its a AWD and I did not use GM parts. Got them from Rockauto. But also not the cheapest stuff and I replaced the sensors twice and both hubs once. Do you think a wrong torque could cause these troubles?