ABS activation at ALL speeds, the usual sensor/hub problem!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a AWD and I did not use GM parts. Got them from Rockauto. But also not the cheapest stuff and I replaced the sensors twice and both hubs once. Do you think a wrong torque could cause these troubles?
The computers in these trucks do not like aftermarket parts. I put a new hub on a 2006 Pontiac and while the machining of the hub was fine, it caused the ABS light to go on because the sensor wasn't able to be read correctly.

If you do not tighten the spindle nut correctly on a hub, it will fail prematurely. On a GMT-900 1/2 ton, that number is 177 foot pounds.

Since you have a GM compatible scan tool, I would use that and the shop manual to run through the trouble shooting guide. You can subscribe to it at AllDataDIY.

OP
OP
H

Herman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The computers in these trucks do not like aftermarket parts. I put a new hub on a 2006 Pontiac and while the machining of the hub was fine, it caused the ABS light to go on because the sensor wasn't able to be read correctly.

If you do not tighten the spindle nut correctly on a hub, it will fail prematurely. On a GMT-900 1/2 ton, that number is 177 foot pounds.

Since you have a GM compatible scan tool, I would use that and the shop manual to run through the trouble shooting guide. You can subscribe to it at AllDataDIY.
Thanks, I have ordern the 3rd pair of sensors, this time GM.

OP
OP
H

Herman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE: Today I did the auto bleed and a brake line blew. I will replace all brake lines since they are rusty. Is that a possible cause for my problem?

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you are there, inspect brake hoses F/R for swelling.
Do a live data scan on test drive after repairs. And post all previous codes and if any more come up.

OP
OP
H

Herman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will do. Just ordered the AGS CNC154KIT NiCopp EZ-FIT lines. I will let you know what will happen.

Mike H

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked the rear wheel speed sensors and ABS Tone Rings? Mine is in right now for a bearing and seal replacement on the rear. We had the same issue when he put it back together, he said there was something inside the housing from the bearing that he'd never seen before and it was flopping around on one side and the other was solid (yeah he shoulda stopped there). Axle, seal and bearing back out and I head over to look at it. I find the sensor on the back side of the axle and figure that is for the ABS. So we get the sensor out and pulled the ABS Tone Ring out (with a bearing puller) and a new one (and sensor) is on the way to me. I'm contemplating having him pull the other axle back out and replacing that one also, but that requires a new bearing and seal so more $$. Part number is GM GENUINE 12479286

Attachments

• tonering.jpg
    tonering.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 2

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: After all brake lines have been replace ALL ABS troubles are gone! No more DTCs etc. Strange because I still don't see the connection but somehow it works!
That's great!!! :D

Bigcatfishking

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you figured it out yet? I have a 04 Denali 6.0 awd. My truck just started throwing abs and traction light. It was intermittently it pop on the off. Now when driving the abs and traction kicks on and off but the truck doesn’t want to go. When tooth lights are on it drives fine. I went to autozone to get codes. (C0035/ c0045/ c0040/ c0283 / c0196/ c0292. I haven’t started to replace any parts yet. Any help I really appreciate it

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you figured it out yet? I have a 04 Denali 6.0 awd. My truck just started throwing abs and traction light. It was intermittently it pop on the off. Now when driving the abs and traction kicks on and off but the truck doesn’t want to go. When tooth lights are on it drives fine. I went to autozone to get codes. (C0035/ c0045/ c0040/ c0283 / c0196/ c0292. I haven’t started to replace any parts yet. Any help I really appreciate it

Yes, he figured his issue out. You didn't see it in post #17? And the OP hasn't been back here since the end of August.

I would recommend that you research the diagnostic path for each/all of the codes you have, as your issue may have a different cause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak