About to install "rebuilt" 4L60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P0300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Again. After watching this 2001 Tahoe drive trouble-free for 8 years, I decided to buy it, with only a P0453 and all the oxygen sensor codes lit. Then the transmission started giving me guff, by way of difficulty getting into second gear. Just my luck. I did however drive it through a deepish puddle prior to the trans acting up (a few hours after that, it was revving too high on a gentle grade, and the CEL started to flash), and thought it may have an electrical issue and drove it for about a week gently babying it into second gear, with no more flashing CEL. I bought a Rebuilt transmission, and parked the truck for a week. I did unplug the battery at one point, the codes reset, and I plugged it into SCAN XL PRO, to check the logs and whatnot. The new scan revealed new codes (I forget what they were) but one in particular was related to a bunch of communication errors, one involving the Transmission. On the way to the garage to rip it apart, second gear was still acting the same way, but this time it had no third gear. So I got it to the garage and commenced the blood ritual of getting the trans out.

So now, I am looking at both transmissions and they are slightly different, and I need some help sorting them out. I don't really know how to enter the question in google, so searching for an answer is difficult.

First off, the gasket I ordered for the transfer case adapter is not the one I scraped off. 24245110, the "wide" ACDELCO is the one I ordered. The one I scraped off is Interchange #100127. It has 6 slots as opposed to the thicker-looking OE one.
download.jpe
s-l1600.jpg

Why would they be different? NP243? or maybe NP261? Those slots only line up with the cavities in the adapter, the transfer case doesn't have those slots so the inner material would just be "Hanging"

Now onto the transmission. The one I pulled from the Tahoe, has a drain plug (it's just for show, you already knew that LOL) and the numbered stamping on the body is "58"

The Rebuilt one I purchased has no drain plug, and the Stamping is "33", with 4KCD on the sticker.

both of them have the green plug, with the pins in the exact matching configuration. Both torque converters fit in and line up with the same gap with the bellhousing.

Just curious if anyone knew these transmissions well enough to know the difference. As far as I can tell, the early-2000s ones were just a green plug receptacle, and Purple for later. They look identical otherwise. The case stampings and different gaskets are just making me wary, that's all.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 259187

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Again. After watching this 2001 Tahoe drive trouble-free for 8 years, I decided to buy it, with only a P0453 and all the oxygen sensor codes lit. Then the transmission started giving me guff, by way of difficulty getting into second gear. Just my luck. I did however drive it through a deepish puddle prior to the trans acting up (a few hours after that, it was revving too high on a gentle grade, and the CEL started to flash), and thought it may have an electrical issue and drove it for about a week gently babying it into second gear, with no more flashing CEL. I bought a Rebuilt transmission, and parked the truck for a week. I did unplug the battery at one point, the codes reset, and I plugged it into SCAN XL PRO, to check the logs and whatnot. The new scan revealed new codes (I forget what they were) but one in particular was related to a bunch of communication errors, one involving the Transmission. On the way to the garage to rip it apart, second gear was still acting the same way, but this time it had no third gear. So I got it to the garage and commenced the blood ritual of getting the trans out.

So now, I am looking at both transmissions and they are slightly different, and I need some help sorting them out. I don't really know how to enter the question in google, so searching for an answer is difficult.

First off, the gasket I ordered for the transfer case adapter is not the one I scraped off. 24245110, the "wide" ACDELCO is the one I ordered. The one I scraped off is Interchange #100127. It has 6 slots as opposed to the thicker-looking OE one.
View attachment 259188
View attachment 259189

Why would they be different? NP243? or maybe NP261? Those slots only line up with the cavities in the adapter, the transfer case doesn't have those slots so the inner material would just be "Hanging"

Now onto the transmission. The one I pulled from the Tahoe, has a drain plug (it's just for show, you already knew that LOL) and the numbered stamping on the body is "58"

The Rebuilt one I purchased has no drain plug, and the Stamping is "33", with 4KCD on the sticker.

both of them have the green plug, with the pins in the exact matching configuration. Both torque converters fit in and line up with the same gap with the bellhousing.

Just curious if anyone knew these transmissions well enough to know the difference. As far as I can tell, the early-2000s ones were just a green plug receptacle, and Purple for later. They look identical otherwise. The case stampings and different gaskets are just making me wary, that's all.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 259187
Somewhere around 2002ish they stopped putting drain plugs in the pans. You can use your old pan with a plug if you’d like. I’ve seen both styles of t case gaskets used. I prefer the top style. It’s what I’ve used in all the R/Rs I’ve done personally. The stud spacing isn’t exactly symmetrical. The gasket only goes on one way

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s several variations of the 4l60e and they made some internal modifications over the years but you should be good. As far as the gasket, use what looks right. I dont see how anything would be hanging off the inside, did you put the new one on the tc and see how it lines up? Do that and snap a pic. Most of these don’t have drain plugs, a few do- nothing to be concerned with but like Michael said you can swap it over if you want the drain. I recommend a LubeLocker gasket and never ever ever use RTV on the pan gasket no matter what gasket you use. I found out the hard way when I broke my output shaft due to the servo drain holes on the pan rail being plugged with RTV. The supercharger didn’t help but still, that’s what Performabuilt said was the cause. They still fixed it under warranty but it used to slam into second gear hard until it finally broke the shaft.

OP
OP
P

P0300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah everything lines up...its just that there is extra gasket material covering those slots and the ones on the Tcase, with no pressure on that material. Im going to use the gasket anyway, I just think its weird that they made it like that, with 2 types of gasket available. I thought something was a bit off so I figured Id ask before continuing20201004_150952.jpg 20201004_150913.jpg 20201004_150933.jpg

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is probably a third forth and fifth style of gasket if you shop around. gasket styles are always changing

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s several variations of the 4l60e
Do you know of a list that compares them all? I have a 97 and 98 4l60e and was wondering if I could rebuild one with 2008 parts to swap into my 08 Tahoe. I'm assuming the bell housing will be different, the older trans were behind 305's.

May just be easier to find an 08 trans used and rebuild that?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know of a list that compares them all? I have a 97 and 98 4l60e and was wondering if I could rebuild one with 2008 parts to swap into my 08 Tahoe. I'm assuming the bell housing will be different, the older trans were behind 305's.

May just be easier to find an 08 trans used and rebuild that?
Start your own thread with your question instead of necroing this one. If you do, ill respond in your new thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC