A good wheel paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good wheel paint? I'm painting a set of steelies gloss black, dunno what type of paint is best.

Igot26s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry if it sounds cheap but I used just regular krylon paint. I had my wheels powdercoated and the guy did a crappy job. A few months later they were chipping and chrome was showing. I repainted the whole wheel with the spray paint and it looked better than the Powdercoating. All my wheels are like that now and if I scratch one or something I simply can fix it right then.

OP
OP
VTburban

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ended up using el-braino and stopping by my local highway department and speaking with the fleet manager. They paint all the truck wheels black. He recommended a self-etching primer made by SEM, along with gloss paint. So there ya go.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used some Rustoleum black wheel paint (not positive about the name right now). All I did was scuff up the original silver paint with a scotchbrite pad. Wiped them down with Acrosol and sprayed them. They have been on for a year with 0 peeling. I figured they wouldnt last but they have been perfect.

OP
OP
VTburban

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good info Kevin. I had access to a sandblaster, so I took off the old paint and rust with that. I got my first layer of primer down tonight, so I think they should be good to go by the end of the weekend. I'll post a pic for posterity.

OP
OP
VTburban

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either of you guys (or anyone else who's done this) sprayed a clearcoat afterward? I've been reading about the "proper" way to paint and jeez there's a lot of steps, if you want to do it right, according to folks in the know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qurba55