A few ac questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NvrMnd85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced the ac on my 02 suburban with rear ac this weekend. I replaced the compressor, condenser, accumulator dryer, and oriface tube. Flushed the lines under the hood, vacuumed and recharged the system. Heres where im not sure if im just paranoid or not. I can get in the truck with the vent temp at 110 starrt the truck and by yth time i leave the parking lot the air charge is down to 80 another 5 min its down to 60 and another 15 it will get to 40. My question is, whats normal for how fast its suppose to cool off? I know humidity is a big factor, i live in the Louisville KY area where humidity is high when its hot. I just feel like it should cool down faster to at least 60°f. I wound up at an estimated 48-50 oz of freon to get the pressure up past 30psi low. When i was done i had it up to 35 low and 175 high. I may check again to double check.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If under the hood is hot soaked, if the engine cooling fans are weak, the AC will only get so cool before you get air moving across the radiator. I don't know the referigerant specs for your system but you should look them up. Same with the oil.

OP
OP
N

NvrMnd85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea i made sure to put the proper oil amount in. Spec is 11oz pag and 48oz 134a. And yea it could be because of the mechanical fan

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NvrMnd85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also feel like it should run colder than 45-40. Whats everyone elses do? And how fast does yours cool off? I can't really remember from last year before it broke.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
40 or 45 is normal. I remember on my other cars, each click was plus or minus 5 degrees and think the low was 45. But it is kinda dependent on the outside air temp and humidity. Mine cools down pretty fast with the rear on too set to 64 in summer and 68 in winter. Tomorrow I'll be running the truck with my Tech2 and will make a note to check the internal air temp numbers for a comparison for you.

OP
OP
N

NvrMnd85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, thatd be awesome. It feels like it takes forever to get all the way cool. But im pretty sure im being paranoid. I have a bad habit of doing that on major repairs.

OP
OP
N

NvrMnd85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I moved my thermometer from the far left vent to the middle vent. This morning it got down to 35 with it being 75 out.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We hooked up the Tech2 after a remote start with the truck idling in the driveway. Outside temp was about 85 and the lowest temp seen internally was in the mid 40s. The commanded state was 35 degrees. During this I discovered an error code, the recirculate door actuator stuck open (Code B0228 Symptom 61), it was moving but out of synch. I used the Tech2 to get it back in synch after clearing the code. Had this happen last year with another actuator. We soon got underway and doing 25 mph through our neighborhood the temps went down to the low 40s, all the actuators were operating within 1-3 counts of commanded state. Called it good and reset the temp from 60 to 68 as we were getting cold! The minimum specs in the manual, going by my foggy memory, showed the system able to cool the outside air by about 25-30 degrees. A healthy system can certain do better than that.

Using the recirculate function helps chill the truck down faster as does running the rear AC. I keep the rear at 68 all the time unless the passengers change it to their liking back there.

OP
OP
N

NvrMnd85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats certainly good to know. Ill check the blend door. Wouldn't surprise me if it is an issue because ill hear something in the dash sound like a door slamming.

OP
OP
N

NvrMnd85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive seen a how to on recalibrating the blenddoor actators but all that info is for the 03+, i don't have the same fuzes on my 02. I pulled the front ac fuze and tried it and don't think it helped (if there was any need for it in the first place, so it may have worked and not helped haha).

Also how fast does the air in your vents start feeling cool? Mine takes a few minutes, im assuming its just because theres such a large volume of freon for the whole system.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper