A/C takes a long time to work some starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twice in the last week when I started mine up the air is blowing out of the vents but definitely not cooling at all for like 30-45 seconds it is clearly just ambient air no cooling. Both times is was around 80 degrees outside. I had a friend complain in the back seat that it was blowing hot too so it seems like the compressor isn't coming on all the time right when it is started.

Any else's 2021 doing this? I mean dam my 2010 has 257k miles and the A/C always works perfect since new.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twice in the last week when I started mine up the air is blowing out of the vents but definitely not cooling at all for like 30-45 seconds it is clearly just ambient air no cooling. Both times is was around 80 degrees outside. I had a friend complain in the back seat that it was blowing hot too so it seems like the compressor isn't coming on all the time right when it is started.

Any else's 2021 doing this? I mean dam my 2010 has 257k miles and the A/C always works perfect since new.
Haven’t had that issue. Sounds like maybe it's a little low on freon.

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this on my 2021 Tahoe when on auto and in the heat of summer. Eventually gets worked out but I end up having to play with fan speed and temp. I posted a couple of months ago and a couple others said they had same issue. I haven’t done anything about it yet as it didn’t happen that frequently.

OP
OP
robgreg75

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this on my 2021 Tahoe when on auto and in the heat of summer. Eventually gets worked out but I end up having to play with fan speed and temp. I posted a couple of months ago and a couple others said they had same issue. I haven’t done anything about it yet as it didn’t happen that frequently.

Ok thanks. Ya I figured if I took it to the dealer it would be a waste of time unless I found out some others found the real issue. Since the dealer will just say "it gets cold".

Fischer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Ya I figured if I took it to the dealer it would be a waste of time unless I found out some others found the real issue. Since the dealer will just say "it gets cold".
Check to make sure your condenser is clean load it out with the pressure washer and then put a real big fan out in front of it while the truck runs. Make sure air conditioners on. On a hot day turn everything on maximum cool go up and make sure you compressors on and put a gauge on the low side at least if not both sides high and low to make sure you got the right pressures. If you chucker can of freon in there with a gauge to make sure you're not overcharging that often helps but it also helps if every once in a while you flush the whole system and refill it while making sure there's no leaks. Tahoes and suburbans have a tendency to idle very low and often you won't feel a lot of air conditioning until you get going at a certain speed and get some wind blowing through that condenser. The air will then kick on. You can check your tensioner to make sure your belt is tight there's a lot of different areas you can look at but you can start with the beginning.

OP
OP
robgreg75

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure your condenser is clean load it out with the pressure washer and then put a real big fan out in front of it while the truck runs. Make sure air conditioners on. On a hot day turn everything on maximum cool go up and make sure you compressors on and put a gauge on the low side at least if not both sides high and low to make sure you got the right pressures. If you chucker can of freon in there with a gauge to make sure you're not overcharging that often helps but it also helps if every once in a while you flush the whole system and refill it while making sure there's no leaks. Tahoes and suburbans have a tendency to idle very low and often you won't feel a lot of air conditioning until you get going at a certain speed and get some wind blowing through that condenser. The air will then kick on. You can check your tensioner to make sure your belt is tight there's a lot of different areas you can look at but you can start with the beginning.
This is a case of not turning on the compressor. My 2010 tahoe never has had this issue in 257k miles I know how quickly it should start to cool off. I live in Texas and the times the 2021 did this were as a stated was not even a hot day here and it doesn't do it all the time so it is something screwy going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518