A/C Compressors not all the same 00-06?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at replacement A/C compressors and it appears there may be a difference between earlier year model SUVs (maybe 99-02) and later model year SUVs (03-06). Some appear to have two electrical plugs(one on back, and side plug for clutch) and some have only one plug (side plug for clutch).

The compressor in the pic came off an 01 IIRC and it has two plugs. Based on the tag part # it appears to be an aftermarket Murray A/C compressor.

Does anyone know what the function is of the rear plug? I had always assumed that 00-06 GMT800's all used the same compressor, but I see that's not necessarily the case. However, when checking at an auto parts store, they show the same aftermarket part # for 01 Sub and 04 Tahoe.

Has anyone run this down, the subtle differences between A/C compressors?

Can you use a two plug compressor on a later year that originally had a one plug compressor or vice versa?

comp2.JPG comp1.JPG comp.JPG

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Match vehicle wiring and plugs if hoses,mounts, and clutch same...

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I ran into the same issue. Grabbed a compressor from an 02 for my 03--was different so it didn't work. I never figured it out tho--but they're def different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17