A/C blows warm at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m over 200k also, I don’t think the other components would be worth changing without a known issue. Only thing I might do, as others mentioned, is if driving down the road the ac performance wasn’t what I want, I’d probably start with an evac and recharge to make sure it’s full.

I used a harness from http://www.ls1fans.com/2003__Truck_SUV.php
Junkyard OE fans from a 06 Silverado
Ecm tune from blackbear
Many of those aftermarket harnesses, mine included, melted. I bought one from the same place. It melted on a 100* day 150 miles from home, disabling my truck due to overheating. I rebuilt it with bigger wire and 80 amp relays and it melted again. I finally went with what others have done- bought an OEM harness and I haven’t had any more issues. You can get one from a wrecking yard or @ScottyBoy sells them all re- loomed and cleaned up.

J Mac

Reaction score
Could be the fan clutch. Mechanical fans inherently spin slower at slower RPM's. If the fan clutch is going bad it won't engage (if that's the right word) as RPM's slow to spin the fan faster thus pulling less air through condenser. Not enough air flow to pull heat from condenser and high pressure side of A/C will get too high and could shut the A/C off until you start driving again and pull more air through condenser.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be the fan clutch. Mechanical fans inherently spin slower at slower RPM's. If the fan clutch is going bad it won't engage (if that's the right word) as RPM's slow to spin the fan faster thus pulling less air through condenser. Not enough air flow to pull heat from condenser and high pressure side of A/C will get too high and could shut the A/C off until you start driving again and pull more air through condenser.
He said he replaced the fan in the first post which I assume means the clutch since it would make no sense to replace the blades.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He said he replaced the fan in the first post which I assume means the clutch since it would make no sense to replace the blades.
But, if it was a less than stellar clutch....
Maybe not the "severe duty."

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, if it was a less than stellar clutch....
Maybe not the "severe duty."

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Meh, like I stated previously, I have done the electric fan conversion, my condenser is fine, and I still get the occasional time when the compressor shuts off in stopped traffic on 100* days until I start moving again. Mines an 02 though so the PCM won’t turn the fans to high which they changed in the 03-06’s but if you’re running a clutch fan it’s not gonna move enough air in this situation no matter how good of a clutch fan it is. He needs an electric fan conversion imo.

DurrtyBurB

Reaction score
I’m having the same issues at idle on Suburban. Added a pusher fan from a 2500 and harness and no real improvement. Was hoping to avoid dropping money on an e-fan conversion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts