A/C blows warm at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honeydo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been having a problem with the a/c blowing warm when the engine idles at a traffic light or in a drive thru etc. 04 Yukon XL. I replaced the fan and it does spin while idling but that didn't fix the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might need a recharge. or maybe the condenser in front of the rad is clogged up with dead bugs and dirt. ive used de greaser on it and hosed it down.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
I significantly improved my ac performance at idle in my 03 with electric fans, and tune for ecm control

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Converting To electric fans will help some but I still have the issue on real hot days on my 02 even after I did that. It’s a common enough problem on the NBS that GM came up with an auxiliary electric fan for the condenser itself, there’s a TSB on it but it looks like a hassle.

OP
OP
H

Honeydo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I significantly improved my ac performance at idle in my 03 with electric fans, and tune for ecm control
I am considering an electric fan. With 200k I am thinking about changing out the condenser and compressor and that bottle on the firewall. Just don't know what to do really.

OP
OP
H

Honeydo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Converting To electric fans will help some but I still have the issue on real hot days on my 02 even after I did that. It’s a common enough problem on the NBS that GM came up with an auxiliary electric fan for the condenser itself, there’s a TSB on it but it looks like a hassle.
I don't know what nbs or tsb is. There is an electrical connection in front of the condenser that may be there for an electric fan though?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what nbs or tsb is. There is an electrical connection in front of the condenser that may be there for an electric fan though?
NBS= new body style, that’s what the 00-06 models are commonly referred to in the forum. TSB= technical service bulletin which is what an auto manufacturer uses to inform techs or owners about issues with their vehicles. The TSB I was talking about involves adding a harness and fan, there’s no connection pre-wired for that auxiliary fan. I was just trying to bring attention to the fact that these models have an issue with the compressors turning off in certain circumstances due to poor airflow over the condenser. Your best bet is converting to electric fans. It’s not easy or cheap, and you’ll probably still have issues but not nearly as much. There’s write ups on the fan conversion in the Tech section for the 00-06.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 03 had that problem, had it recharged and it helped but I had to replace the hvac controller also then it worked fine 99.9% of the time, the digital controls take a dump sometimes

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
I am considering an electric fan. With 200k I am thinking about changing out the condenser and compressor and that bottle on the firewall. Just don't know what to do really.
I’m over 200k also, I don’t think the other components would be worth changing without a known issue. Only thing I might do, as others mentioned, is if driving down the road the ac performance wasn’t what I want, I’d probably start with an evac and recharge to make sure it’s full.

I used a harness from http://www.ls1fans.com/2003__Truck_SUV.php
Junkyard OE fans from a 06 Silverado
Ecm tune from blackbear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne