99 Yukon owner from Derby, KS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
Yeah i suggest you drive it until something breaks then fix it
I fee that! Already replaced the fuel pump, starter, battery & water pump! Thinking my alternator might be weakening, is that a thing?? Ball joints are my next big boy job!

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fee that! Already replaced the fuel pump, starter, battery & water pump! Thinking my alternator might be weakening, is that a thing?? Ball joints are my next big boy job!
I rebuilt the entire front suspension on mine. I actually got pulled over for swerving haha!!!!

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
Getting the lower ball joints out and the new ones in for me took a 20lbs sledgehammer and the top ones are riveted in. It was the mother of all *******
How did you get the top ones replaced then? If you don’t mind me asking I finally got my ball joints for Christmas!

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the upper ball joints, the head of the pressed in rivet has to be ground off. Then you can sometimes bang the rest of the rivet out with a punch and big hammer. I've read that a torch and heat can help. When I did mine, I started with a smaller drill bit and drilled a hole length wise thru the center of the rivet and then progressively used a bigger drill bit. I dont remember how large a hole I ended up with. Maybe 1/4 inch or a bit bigger?? Then used a punch to hammer the rivet out. It was a ***** for the first one. Second one a little easier. I recall trying to press the lower ball joints back in. I ended up renting the press from autozone but didn't get the adapter for 4wd. Didn't realize they rented that part too until after I was done. I also remember the lower ball joint not wanting to go back in straight. I had to rotate the C shaped press 180 degrees every couple of turns on the wrench to finally get the ball joint to go in straight. Its a big job but doable for the average guy with good wrenching skills. Good luck. Oh yeah, I think there are two different sizes for the lower ball joint. At least for 4wd anyway. Be sure to get the correct size...

shofzr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, I’m in the Dallas Texas area now, but I grew up in Mulvane KS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk