99 Tahoe crank pulley wobble/belt chirp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOOM360

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe 5.7 with 141K on it. About 6 months ago I started getting an intermittent chirp/squeak, usually when it was damp or raining outside. It would go away, but over the last few months it has become more permanent no matter if it was wet or dry outside. I replaced the belt tensioner, idler pulley, and serpentine belt one at a time but it didn't help. There is no squeak when the belt is removed, and no pulley squeak when turning them by hand. I then noticed the crank pulley had a little wobble to it when the truck is running, so I replaced the harmonic balancer and the wobble was still there. I then replaced the crank pulley, but it still has some wobble and the belt still squeaks/chirps. The squeak will almost disappear when stopped and idling, but as soon as I accelerate the noise picks up and increases.

Any ideas on what else I can do to correct this? I bought a newer Yukon Denali and will be selling the Tahoe once this issue is fixed. I'm hoping the problem isn't with the crankshaft. The new balancer (Dorman 594-121) was seated all the way on, and the crank bolt and pulley bolts were torqued down to specs. I'm open to suggestions....thanks.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have this same issue, I had changed my alternator (needed to be swapped anyways) and my AC compressor (old one was bad) hoping this would take care f it. It didn't, I also swapped the belt tensioner, started it up, did the same thing, so I took it off and right back in. Upon closer inspection there is a tiny bit of back and forth wobble on the balancer, goes away with RMPs .... a new engine will take care of that. :D

07whitetahoe

Reaction score
Wobble on crank pulley is pretty common, shouldn't hurt any. To be honest most noise is in the belt. A cheaper belt can squeak when new ( we see it all the time from discount stores). Or if there is some sort of lube on the pulley's.

roc187

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've bought two new belts replaced pullys scrubbed them down with a wire brush I even got a gator back making noise

roc187

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having the noise when the crank shaft pulley moves out of alignment everything else is fine or replaced

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warock56

Latest posts