99 Hoe Deck/Amp Install Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first venture into interior work, and car audio. This is fun. The prior owners butchered the wiring in my truck. Yesterday, the harness went to the front driver's door, and went to some sort of box with 4 speaker connections. No power, nothing else. Possibly a crossover? Doesn't matter. The speaker wires then split at the box and went to the 2 speakers in the front driver's door. I didn't know we had a little tweeter in the armrest!!! This was all broken, and non-functioning anyway.

Last night I removed everything, disconnected the stupid door tweeter, cut all the extra crap wires, added a 4G wire from the battery to the back seat, put a 4G ground in, and ran 18G from each speaker through the door pillars, along the floor under the trim to the back seat. I wound up removing roughly 10lbs of extra wiring bullshizzle from my Hoe. 3 plastic grocery bags full of hacked up wires, splices on splices held together with duct tape and even some blue painter's tape. Busy night.

I removed the old deck and threw it out. I ran 3 stereo RCA's from behind the deck to the back seats to provide signal to the amps. One amp will run the door speakers, one amp will run the sub(s).

I'm trying to install a new deck now, and I'm wondering what the difference is between the dimmer and illumination leads in the harness? Also, what should I hook the remote for the subs up to?

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/574.html

Gratefully....
:headbang:

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Oh, duh. Yeah, there's a remote wire coming out of the deck. RTFM, noob. Lol. So if I don't hook up the dimmer or illumination leads from the harness to anything on the deck, the deck will just stay fully illuminated all the time, irrespective of the headlights being on/off? That would be ideal.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what chantz said, i always do that, plus even if you dont hook up those two wires, you can still dim the lights by option in the deck. your remote, im guessing is the turn on lead for your amp, if so, then run it to the radio fuse in the fuse panel

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Too easy. Thanks guys. I'll snap some pictures when I do the passenger side tonight. I'm sure I'll run into a plethora of horrible wiring in there as well. Then, I have to install the deck, wire everything, connect it to the battery, and I'm off. I haven't purchased the second amp or subs yet, but I'm making all the wiring for everything so it will be super easy when I do. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks all!!

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
I did it. Everything is still loose- I haven't bolted anything down, or tightened the wires up to their final resting places, but I put power to it, and it worked. I'm a little shocked, I have to admit. It isn't typical for auto wiring to work on the first shot for me. Lol. I'll post some pictures.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on audio is simple and not as hard as everyone thinks. The only thing that is time consuming is actually making it look nice and clean! Removing stuff to hide wires and re-installing is the challenge to me. Hook up you 4 Ch amp is gonna be fun! Got wire each speaker to the amp! IMO will be worth it if you have aftermarket speakers.

If your big into sound then get compenents. Kinda on the exspensive side. Should come with speaker, tweeter & crossover. Crossover sends bass to the speakers and vioce to the tweeter. Sound amazing! I only have them in the front...I don;t care for my passengers.

Also to make installtion a breeze I would make things Plug and play with Female/male harness connectors in order to return to stock. Plus there is a plug for our factory plug to make H/U installtions a breeze!

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
So I did use fully insulated male/female spade connectors on everything that might at some point need to be disconnected. I was also hedging my bets in case I mixed up the wires. I did run the wires individually from each door speaker to the back seat, which while time consuming, was actually really easy. In the front under the floor trim, there's a conduit that you can hide most of the wiring in. I filled it, and then had some spill over. And I had to use both sides of the truck, because a 4G, 3 stereo RCA's, and speaker wires were just too much for one side. But yeah. I think I'll take a video.

I went and picked up a cheap sub and a box last night; I'll be hooking them up today too. My new solenoids came in the mail as well, so I have my work cut out for me. :)

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you watch them rca's hangin down below your radio will short out your climate control ive already burnt up 2 just got my 3rd one i bought off ebay in the mail today, the rcas hang down and short the open circuit board on the climate control and them bitches aint cheap!!!!! Atleast 100$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts