97 Yukon Hard to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I usually work on airplanes but do computers and cars too. Unfortunately I am tied up on my own tahoe right now among other things. I myself am dumping over five grand into it with several more to go. What exactly are you concerned about? I might be able to help but it depends on where you live and time of day as I have to use another vehicle. Best way for you to learn is to do it while I lend a hand along the way. I think you will do fine as long as the truck springs no suprises on you. I should have all the tools to use and I can bring my laptop scanner if needed just for the extra bit of info it might provide. Have you decided on what you want to do specifically. Online I think you can get cap, rotor, wires(if needed), plugs, pcv valve, air and fuel filter for $200 maybe. The ignition stuff would be ac delco and I usually reccomend Fram for stock air filters, fuel filter, an pcv valves. I don't usually do side jobs but I will lend a hand for sure. I am not good at charging money. If I was I would probably be rich with all the stuff I have done for others. Hell I would like to have several shops in different transportation fields if I had the business running bug in me but I always liked the technical stuff more.

Btw, liking the throttle body. I have my upper manifold off right now doing the injector assy and it took 2 large can of cleaner, tooth brush and plastic scraper to clean that damn throttle body. The upper manifold body was:emotions122::emotions122::emotions122: but did as best I could. My truck better be able to fly with all the work I'm doing but have not had the time speed up the process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vali31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know you are busy with your own vehicle and I feel selfish because I am asking for help and you have already gave me great advice. I understand exactly where you are coming from when you talked about helping others and charging. When I do computer or screen repairs I have the hardest time charging someone, only because they usually got jacked with a bill from people like geek squad or a local computer repair shop. I get a weird satisfaction for helping another person in need. My friend Mario lived in Pitt, he use to help me with some of my car repairs, he had the hardest time charging me also but he has since moved to socal. Since I know the Yukon is due for a tune up i am assuming that I need all the above. Been digging around and I have found a lot of Spark plug wires on sale but some were not AC DELCO. I found AC DELCO plug wires but I don't know which one. Here is a link to one website.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/ACDelco/Part-Type/Spark-Plug-Wire-Sets/Product-Line/ACDelco-Spark-Plug-Wire-Sets/?autoview=SKU&gclid=CJazpqaXg6cCFQRubAodvDdlgQ

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
post all the build details on your vehicle and when ZI have some time tonight I will look up the parts for you and price them at amazon or something. List everything again for proper application. everything you know, year, make, model, trim level, installed options, a/c tranny 4*2 4*4, # of doors and such.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
cap ACDelco D329a $42.-
rotor ACDelco D465 $11.-
wires ACDelco 9718q $57.-
Plugs ACDelco 41-993 $8.29*8=$63.-
Air filter Fram CA8038 $17.-
Fuel filter Fram G3727 $12.-
PCV Valve Fram FV178 $6.-

All on Amazon but occasionally might be sold and shipped from a different merchant so Look below each price on the product page to be sure. They may charge more for the part or shipping or take longer to ship.

About $208 anything else you are interested in doing? Buy all means shop around for better pricing but amazon seem to be the ideal place with good service.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Summit ac delco wires were twice that of Amazon price.:****:

OP
OP
V

vali31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
TY

Thank You Jonathan.:worthy:

Sorry for replying so late. I have been out of town dealing with some personal issues. I just got back this morning and found out someone broke into my Yukon because the handle was broken. Fortunately there is nothing worth taking. The prices that you looked up for me are much appreciated. I will call around for price checks, but I'll use your quotes as what to look for. I get paid only on the 10th of every month. So after bills paid, I'll calculate how much I can save towards purchasing the parts. I really appreciate your help.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I personally advise against using FRAM products as there are many less than stellar performance stories surrounding their products. There are many better quality brands that you can use instead:
  • fuel filters - ACDelco, Mobil1, and Purolator are all better products
  • air filters - Wix and Purolator immediately come to mind for the paper filters
  • pcv filter - can't recall any brand specific issues surrounding this part

OP
OP
V

vali31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I messed up

I took my 97 yukon to Meineke in Concord, CA and got the worst service. Went in for a oil change 3 weeks ago and was told I needed this done and this and so forth. I already new I needed a tuneup so i went back for the service. For 380.00 and some change <---STUPID, I got a new fuel filter, 3 step cleaning of fuel injectors, and spark plugs replaced. I was told that the plug wires were still good. A day and a half later my car rough idles when at a stop light. Took it to another shop and they said that one of my spark plugs were cracked. I remember seeing the mechanic dropping 2 spark plugs but i didn't think anything of it. The shop that found the crack also said that the wires could have been (arcing/arking)? I went back to meineke and had them replace all 8 of the spark plugs and the car is still idling rough/misfiring at stop lights. I need help. My yukon never did this before until I had the ****** tuneup done. Could it possibly be my wires were damaged or just should of been replaced at the same time?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I can't get to you still but if you want to swing by here some time I can scan your computer data to see if I could find a clue as to what is going on. I still don't have a pressure gauge to verify your fuelk pressure but I can pull alot of data for you if you want and verify your wire routing. If you are misfiring I can tell what cylinder it is for example. You could use a loan a tool program around here to get a fual pressure gauge while you are here. I think you leave a refundable deposit at the local parts store to ensure its return. BTW do you know what gap your plugs were set at?

OP
OP
V

vali31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When the second shop checked the spark plugs, they found one of them at gapped around 80 the rest were at 60/62. Yesterday I tried to get a scanner loaner with my card and they said they don't loan them anymore. I have to purchase one or go to a shop to have it scanned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn