97 Yukon Hard to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vali31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a 97 Yukon that just started to have a hard time starting. It takes about 3-4 cranking for it to start. The fuel pump was replaced almost 2 years ago. Last time i had a tune up was about 5-6 years ago. Battery is 2 months old. Vehicle has a little under 200,000 miles. If it is a tuneup that I need. Is there any instructions on how to do it myself?
Please help anyone this is my families only means of transportation.

I just took pictures of my cars engine if need:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9A8F3R60

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
At 100,000 is a scheduled tune-up so since you are having issues do it now. Get your selfa haynes or chilton manual for instructruction on how to change components. refer to your owners manual on what is required for the 100,000 interval. Perhaps have your fuel injectors professionally cleaned as well. The originals are problematic.
:welcome: from the bay area as well.

OP
OP
V

vali31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
TY for the reply sunlitcomet. My uncle from San Jose told me that my fuel injectors maybe dirty. All of today the car started out fine. The night before I just cleaned and removed components. I don't think I did anything special, hopefully the cleaner I put in helped a little. A tune up cost me about 450.00 last time. Would buying the parts at a local store or online be best? Can someone with little experience with cars(like myself) be able to do this with a manual?

:Handshake:
I am on the other side of the mountain in Concord, near Clayton Valley HS.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It is not that diffeicult as long as you have decent quality tools and patience. Parts online would bea good choice. I Myself go to store websites that sell the acdelco brands(oreily's for example) and pull off the oem part # and buy it from amazon mostly where things are cheaper and have great costumer service. There are a few web places like that. The stores overcharge for this stuff and are kicking the good quality products from there shelves in favor of cheaper stuff. I pulled $175 worth of local store tune-up parts for $101 just this month and they were ac delco brand. I fyou need factory technical info I could help with that. Just don't bite off to much at once until you are comfortable. Work on one thing at a time and don't move on until done with the first. I am sure you can get a lot more done with $450 on your own and better yourself at the same time.

If your fuel injectors need to be replaced later on get some help with that. You have to take off the UPPER half of the intake manifold to get to it and requires patience and a clean working enviorment to do it accurately or bigger problems will occur later. There have been some changes to the system because of a performance issues.

By the way have you noticed any instances of your Check Engine Light on steadily are flashing after vehicle starts or just when you initially start it then it goes out?

OP
OP
V

vali31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No check engine light. The car has been running fine as of the last 2.5 days. The car starts normally. Maybe its my wife, just being careless while driving and turning the car on. But, i know that it is due for a tune up. Thanks so much for helping.

GMC Yukon

Reaction score
You can dooooooo it.... New plugs- New Cap - New Rotor - PVC - Air filter... When you replace the cap pull 1 wire at a time and put it on the new cap the same way.... Did they replace your plug wires??? If not replace them first befor replacing the cap...

Attachments

• 1997 GMC Yukon 201,000 002.jpg
    1997 GMC Yukon 201,000 002.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vali31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh snaps! Now I'm really on my knees praying for guidance. It looks easy(Looks), but very skeptic I might over tighten or forget what wire goes where. I think I am going to need that "pictorial wire routing map".

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
thread the by hand then snug the plugs real good with ratchet. Light screwdriver force on cap and rotor. Wiggle a little bit at a time to ensure fit. USE dielectric grease on inside of wire boots. Cap is numbered on top anyway. Hardest plugs may be 5&7 since the steering shaft is nearby. Cylinder layout as follows:

Fan
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
Distributor

Routing diagram:

http://www.sunlitcomet.com/pdf/automotive/tahoe/96-97/1996-Tahoe-Ignition-Wire-Routing.pdf

OP
OP
V

vali31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can you give me hand on this? Do you do side jobs? How much will you charge? It looks like i can do it, I don't have the right tools and I never done anything like this. I repair computers, and now I am wishing I repaired cars instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10