97 Tahoe oil pressure.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TempestT-37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sometimes when I am at a stoplight my check gauges light will come on and the oil gauge is down to around 0. I give it a little gas and the pressure goes up and the light goes off. The odometer shows 196k, I did an oil change 700 miles ago and the oil level is still good.

I am thinking I should start using thicker oil, I have been using 10w40. What oil weight should I use?

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
10w-30. verify with a mechanical gauge and replace defective parts a required. note that low oil pressure should not make a check engine light come on. the oil pressure is not monitored by the pcm. perhaps you meant the check gauges light.

Rob Scariano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when I am at a stoplight my check gauges light will come on and the oil gauge is down to around 0. I give it a little gas and the pressure goes up and the light goes off. The odometer shows 196k, I did an oil change 700 miles ago and the oil level is still good.

I am thinking I should start using thicker oil, I have been using 10w40. What oil weight should I use?

At the end of the day, I run 10w-40 in the summer, 10w-30 in the winter. Runs fine, and it did improve OP slightly. 10w-30 is recommended year round but 10w-40 isn't going to hurt it in the slightest bit. Even 20w-50 is fine. I've done it on quite a few vehicles and never had one single problem. You could even run straight weight 50 in the summer with 20w-50 in the winter.

These old Tahoes are notorious for having low pressure. I agree with the other post. I'd stick a manual gauge on it. The factory gauges aren't extremely accurate.

It's a pretty big job to replace the oil pump. Hopefully the manual gauge will reflect an acceptable pressure level. Don't fear the oil though. It's not going to hurt it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n