'95 Inside Door Latch Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, is there a common problem with the door latch on these trucks? A particular thing or two to check first?

The inner latch on the driver's door, over a week or so, got gradually worse. I had to pull it a little bit further/harder each time to open the door. It won't open the door at all now, but I never heard or felt anything snap or give. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment issue.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,
joe

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Common issue. Changed mine out bout two years ago but can't recall exactly what the issue was. Definetly wasnt the rod as thats what I first suspected but problem was fixed with a new interior door handle.

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
Common issue. Changed mine out bout two years ago but can't recall exactly what the issue was. Definetly wasnt the rod as thats what I first suspected but problem was fixed with a new interior door handle.
I have a feeling that I'll be doing this soon. The handle is slow to return to the resting position

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks man.

Anyone else have an idea?

joe

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sagging door pins can cause trouble sometimes. the rods that go from the latches might not be allowing enough pull on the latch a simple added tweek at one of the bends can help. the plastic tabs that the rods clip into on the latches can wear causing the rod to lose some of its pull distance. so grab the bottom of the door and lift up and down if you see it wiggle could look into the door pins. next look at the plastic clips for the rods for missing or damage or just wear. generally if you have a rod issue one handle will work perfectly and one won't also similar with the clips. if you decide to tweek one of the rods be very careful to not overstress the plastic clips or you could break them.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a good parts store clerk will find you the metal clips for the rods, old school fix. I like to remove the rod before I shorten it by bending(double bend). A trace on a piece of cardboard is enough to show amount needed.Dorman inside handles usually last a long time. Use your engine hoist when doing door pins/bushings/rollers, easier than floor jack.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*Assuming '95 handle is same as '99*
Mine did the same until it quit. Pot metal connection on the handle broke, think i got a replacement on Amazon for $20-ish and a pop rivet from a neighbor with real tools.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get it fixed? If it’s same issue as mine was you’ll be opening the door from the outside very soon.

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get it fixed? If it’s same issue as mine was you’ll be opening the door from the outside very soon.

I started the outside open thing already, before I made it any worse. I have a new inside handle and am waiting on a rivet gun from Amazon.

joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts