95/99 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bushwookie1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the main bearings and con rod bearings are the same for a 95 5.7l in comparison to a 99 5.7l ?? If they are what is the difference in the blocks? Oil seal?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you trying to swap parts from one engine to the other? Why not just purchase new fresh bearings? They aren't that expensive, maybe $100 for both sets.

I'm certainly not an expert on these engines, but some of the differences I remember:

Vortec SBC has different heads (and different intake). You can use the newer heads/intake on the older engine, but there's some machine work involved. Vortec have better flowing heads than TBI.

Vortec SBC has a 1 piece rear main seal. I really don't know about the TBI. I want to say also 1 piece (the old 2-piece had been deal away like in the 80s IIRC)

Late TBI blocks (which your 95 is) had the bosses for the Vortec hold down "spider" retainers for the lifters. So it's possible to run the roller cam/lifters of the Vortec on the TBIs that had this casting.

I believe the early TBI blocks had something on the passenger lower front for a mechanical fuel gauge? Like for a carburetor or something. That's way before my time, so I never really pay attention to anything carb-related. Vortec blocks don't have that.

The front timing cover is interchangeable. Vortec Is the plastic version with the crankshaft position sensor. TBI doesn't run that sensor.

Vortec engine has powdered metal connecting rods which are superior to the TBI.

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
B

Bushwookie1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you trying to swap parts from one engine to the other? Why not just purchase new fresh bearings? They aren't that expensive, maybe $100 for both sets.

I'm certainly not an expert on these engines, but some of the differences I remember:

Vortec SBC has different heads (and different intake). You can use the newer heads/intake on the older engine, but there's some machine work involved. Vortec have better flowing heads than TBI.

Vortec SBC has a 1 piece rear main seal. I really don't know about the TBI. I want to say also 1 piece (the old 2-piece had been deal away like in the 80s IIRC)

Late TBI blocks (which your 95 is) had the bosses for the Vortec hold down "spider" retainers for the lifters. So it's possible to run the roller cam/lifters of the Vortec on the TBIs that had this casting.

I believe the early TBI blocks had something on the passenger lower front for a mechanical fuel gauge? Like for a carburetor or something. That's way before my time, so I never really pay attention to anything carb-related. Vortec blocks don't have that.

The front timing cover is interchangeable. Vortec Is the plastic version with the crankshaft position sensor. TBI doesn't run that sensor.

Vortec engine has powdered metal connecting rods which are superior to the TBI.

I hope this helps.
Ok let's see if I can explain this without having 15 pages.. lol I already have a 99 yukon. Lost 4th in trans so purchased a rebuild kit for trans and figured well its down let's just rebuild motor too. I bought a 95 tahoe from a guy but couldn't get a clear title.. It runs but no brakes. Then I come across a sweet deal on a 95 4x4 chevy Silverado . Less engine. Still has trans in it. So I start wondering since I already have the mains and con rod bearings for the 99 can I use them in the 95 block? Phew..that was alot and I'm still lost..

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok let's see if I can explain this without having 15 pages.. lol I already have a 99 yukon. Lost 4th in trans so purchased a rebuild kit for trans and figured well its down let's just rebuild motor too. I bought a 95 tahoe from a guy but couldn't get a clear title.. It runs but no brakes. Then I come across a sweet deal on a 95 4x4 chevy Silverado . Less engine. Still has trans in it. So I start wondering since I already have the mains and con rod bearings for the 99 can I use them in the 95 block? Phew..that was alot and I'm still lost..
Ok, that still kinda of confusing, but I think I understand: So you are using the 95 Tahoe engine on the 95 Silverado, right? And asking if the parts (extra parts?) from the 99 Yukon will fit the 95 engine?

Yes, the bearings are the same. Look here for reference. The rods are 2.100" and mains are 2.45" : https://www.corvetteactioncenter.co...g-block-engine-bore-and-stroke-chart-283.html

I thought they were, but wasn't 100% sure and wanted to confirm.

Just keep in mind that after you tear down the engine and inspect everything and measure journals, if journals are worn, turning will be required and you will have to buy undersized bearings. Not saying that will be the case, but it's a possibility.

OP
OP
B

Bushwookie1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, that still kinda of confusing, but I think I understand: So you are using the 95 Tahoe engine on the 95 Silverado, right? And asking if the parts (extra parts?) from the 99 Yukon will fit the 95 engine?

Yes, the bearings are the same. Look here for reference. The rods are 2.100" and mains are 2.45" : https://www.corvetteactioncenter.co...g-block-engine-bore-and-stroke-chart-283.html

I thought they were, but wasn't 100% sure and wanted to confirm.

Just keep in mind that after you tear down the engine and inspect everything and measure journals, if journals are worn, turning will be required and you will have to buy undersized bearings. Not saying that will be the case, but it's a possibility.
Appreciate everything . Thank you so much. I'll post some pics once I'm done

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the future, go to Rock auto and check the part #'s on their catalog.