90K miles on original tires. Any one using Michelins Cross Climate2 tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MrMonte

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a set of the cross climate 2's on my wife's VW Tiguan and they're great in the rain during our monsoon season here. No cons like road noise or stiffness in my opinion.
Great to hear. Living in Oregon I need tires that do well in the rain. For all my cars I run Continental DWS06 tires which are an awesome tires.

OP
OP
MrMonte

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
90k on a set of tires is impressive, pretty sure I would run that back if possible.
All 4 tires tread depth are 5.5 - 6.0 across. Have been terrible in the rain for last 35K miles to the point I have to put my Yukon in AWD so the back doesn't break loose. In AWD it hooks up really well.

cckaya

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been using Michelin Defenders on my 2020 Yukon SLT AWD standard wheel size of 18 inches. In Texas heat it has worked really well and its wet weather performance is pretty solid and the ride is well. I have them for close to more than 50K miles but in need of replacement soon. I was hoping they would last 60K miles as the warranty was 70K.

I used Continental Cross Contacts on my Veracruz but they did not last long in Texas heat.

Mooseman93

Reaction score
I just bought a used Silverado with Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tires on it. The previous owner said he would not buy them again only because he only got 25K miles out of them before the tread was worn down to "probably should replace soon" levels. He drove mostly highway too. The websites I've looked at don't show a mileage warranty like on normal tires. He said that should have been a red flag. Performance-wise they are great, just beware they are apparently quite soft, so good grip, short life.

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
I've had great experience with Michelin Defender LTX M/S's on our Yukon Denali XL's and Escalade ESV's with performance and mileage in year-round use in Ohio.

My only personal experience with the Michelins Cross Climate2 was in a newer Acura MDX we drove for 2 days that had a set of these tires. Much different vehicle platform than our full-size SUV rigs so not sure if it's an "apples to apples" comparison... The Michelins Cross Climate2 were absolutely fantastic in moderate rain. I was proactively trying to hydroplane and couldn't rolling down the highway at 85+. I did think they rode a little stiffer than the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. But that could also be based on different tire sizes and maybe with smaller sidewalls than the 285/45R22?

As I'm sure you know the original LTX M/S have been discontinued and replaced with the Defender LTX M/S2's. They appear to be pretty much the same tire, with only a very slight change to the tread pattern if you're paying close attention.

Just put a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S2's on the wifes '19 Escalade ESV Premium today.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Just looking at the two side by side the Michelin Cross Climate2 is severe snow service rated with a lower mileage warranty. So they may perform better in rain and snow, not last quite as long, and also maybe ride a little stiffer than the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2's. That being said I think the pros and cons or "differences" are probably marginal for each.
I have a 2005 Yukon XL that I bought new. I now have 247K on it. Every set of tires I have purchased have been Michelin LTX M/S2s. I typically get 70K+ miles, and they are very good in rain and snow. I usually replace them around 70K miles simply because they are starting to lose a little traction when accelerating from a stop in the rain, indicating that the rubber compound is getting harder, as well as the tread depth wear. I swear by them. I also used them on my 2001 Suburban 4X4.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michelin has had the LTX M/S2 and just recently released the Defender LTX M/S2 (replacing the old tried and true Defender LTX M/S). They are in fact two different tire models.

The tread pattern is similar and at quick glance I think the only real difference is the LTX M/S2 only goes up to 20” wheel sizes. Whereas the Defender LTX M/S2 goes up to 22” wheel sizes and available in XL load rating.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I miss about my burb is the excellent Conti Terrain Contact HTs. Soft, quiet, great wet traction - just buttery smooth. I would buy them over the defenders every time. I just picked up some 18" AT4 wheels to get back into some 265/70/18s; 22s look good but dont have enough cushion for the pushin...

OP
OP
MrMonte

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up going with General UHP 305/45/22. Have 4K miles on them already and have seen snow/icey conditions with no issues. These tires really handle well and I'm still getting mid 20s mpg. I did adjust the tire size via my tuner so the speedo matches the GPS speed.
428281207_1184637719182130_1449457373996783409_n.jpg428268770_777484157064986_1351868435167453396_n.jpg