8.6" axle ABS tone ring installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the Kent Moote tool to install the tone ring, what is the trick to not damage the tone ring when installing?

Looks like I boogered up two of them and I was being careful. I used a bearing install tool and made sure I hit the outside edge of the cage. I guess I must have missed a few times or the rolled lip allowed the tool to apply more force to the thinner portion when it moved.

I tried using the center plastic alternating back and forth and just before it was seated it pushed through.

I was home free once these were in but I don't want to trash another pair.

Does the Kent Moore tool apply pressure to both the OD of the metal cage along with the plastic cog-like wheel in the middle of the race simultaneously?

All input appreciated.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone has the tool, could you post the outside diameter of either of these areas… should be the same. My guess is 2.75" or about 70 MM...that would be a big help.

The depth I can pretty much get right, it's just the tool needs to catch the very outside of the tone ring.

20230717_210617.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo