8.1 Throttle Body “no longer made”?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brasky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So two years ago coming home from Florida my 2001 suburban 8.1 went into reduced engine power mode. Codes showed throttle position sensor so I replaced that, cleaned all of the grounds, and still had the issue. I ended up replacing the entire throttle body unit with a new one and the problem went completely away (assuming it was the electric motor on the throttle body). I bought a standard motor products brand for $300.

Everything was fine until I was driving to South Dakota this past week and hit a large bump and now the problem is back. I don’t remember the code number but it was TPS 1-2. Seems to happen more when hitting bumps but occasionally happens on a flat road. I replaced the TPS as I still have the new one from last time this occurred. I checked all of the grounds again and all of the connections at the TB, TAC, and foot pedal. I’m assuming I’ll still have this problem though next time I drive it so I was looking for a replacement TB.

Turns out no one sells one anymore. Autozone lists one for $600 but when adding to cart it says “no longer available”.

Does no one really make a throttle body for this? Am I just out of luck unless I find a magic unicorn at a junk yard?

Can you use a 2003+ throttle body and splice the plug in? It appears the 2003 only has one plug where the 2001/2002 has two plugs

I’m starting to remember why I quit buying vehicles with odd power trains in them

OP
OP
B

Brasky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check your connections including the accelerator pedal switch.
I’ve checked all of the connections and wiggled them while it’s running. The pedal, TAC module, both connections on the throttle body, the grounds. Is it worth putting dielectric grease on the connections?

OP
OP
B

Brasky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, bc I found corrosion on the floor pedal and by the TB...
I’m going to try that today. I pulled the fuse block out and there was mouse poop under it. One orange/black wire had about 2” of insulation chewed/missing. Wire itself was fine so I wrapped it. Not out of the realm of possibility but it seemed unlikely it could have shorted out on anything

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I recently replaced the throttle body on my rig and the Genuine GM one said to replace the pigtail at the same time. You said you hit a bump and problem came back. Find a new pigtail and see if that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos