7.5" Lift for 08' Tahoe LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjscharlotte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My first post but from what I have read this forum is great and very informative. My 17 year old son just bought a 2008 Tahoe LTZ 2wd and wants to put either a 5" or 7.5" lift. I'm concerned that with a lift that high he is going to run into issues. He's looked at the Rough Country lifts and they seem fine and are within his budget. He has 26" rims with 35" mud tires. Can anyone give me some things to worry about and things that he needs to do besides what comes with the lift. Is there brake line issues, control arms issues etc.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
This will sound like it’s written by the Grinch, but I don’t encourage a modification like that for a teenage driver. I drive a lifted Tahoe every day and the center of gravity and handling are significantly altered.

I would be keeping a new driver in something that can still slide sideways when everything goes wrong and keep the dirty side down.

Yes, there’s accelerated wear on many components with a big lift. However all those components are replaceable. A life is not.

It may be that your son is a responsible, cautious driver. Yet the statistics on young drivers are not good. I wrecked a few when I was learning that defensive driving was more than a catchphrase.

Best wishes whatever your decision.