6l90e Problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sarge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 09 i swear has trans issues. Sometimes downshift causes a clunk in the drivetrain and kinda feels like its jerking, 2-3 shift sometimes flares up and the shift is horrible. But 80%+/- of the time its 100% fine. Ive gone and added a little bit of line pressure to it from my handheld but doesn't really make a difference. I have 145k and my first step is going to be fluid and a filter. Are the trans mounts an issue on these? Anyone else have similar issues?

Last edited:

Erik G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What handheld?

Cold or hot? I notice in the morning, first mile or two, my transmission feels different than when warmed up

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bullydog. But it did it before i even put it on the truck.

Id say its a little more noticeable cold. Still does it warm randomly, and today it shuttered when slowing down. Hopefully new fluid and filter will help

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're on the right track with the fluid and filter, be sure to update us with results.

Also, just one thing to check, often a broken motor mount can feel like a driveline clunk and broken motor mounts are VERY common on these rigs. Put it in first gear, hold firmly on the brake, step on the gas and have a buddy/mechanic watch the engine to see if it moves excessively. If it moves upward a few inches, bad motor mount.

I have a broken motor mount on my '07 Denali I just bought. I thought it was a driveline clunk or imminent transmission failure, so I started searching the Internet for common 6L80 problems or when they typically fail... I found multiple threads titled something along of the lines of: "Seriously, nobody is having issues with the 6L80?" with replies like "Yeah, lots of people are running TONS of power through them with no issues."

The only 6L80 failure thread I found was some guy who had catastrophic failure at 30k miles, which was obviously an anomaly. I'm sure, like every moving part, they are bound to have issues eventually, but a lot people have a lot of faith in these transmissions.

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
68l0 is the 6speed right? because I think I am having the same problem as yours. I can hear a metal clanking noise coming to a stop, happens when down shifting. Also on cold starts, I get a loud thump thud noise right when leaving my driveway on to the street gaining speed. Thud happens around 20 mph

kctyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
68l0 is the 6speed right? because I think I am having the same problem as yours. I can hear a metal clanking noise coming to a stop, happens when down shifting. Also on cold starts, I get a loud thump thud noise right when leaving my driveway on to the street gaining speed. Thud happens around 20 mph

Yes, that is a 6speed.

You're on the right track with the fluid and filter, be sure to update us with results.

Also, just one thing to check, often a broken motor mount can feel like a driveline clunk and broken motor mounts are VERY common on these rigs. Put it in first gear, hold firmly on the brake, step on the gas and have a buddy/mechanic watch the engine to see if it moves excessively. If it moves upward a few inches, bad motor mount.

I have a broken motor mount on my '07 Denali I just bought. I thought it was a driveline clunk or imminent transmission failure, so I started searching the Internet for common 6L80 problems or when they typically fail... I found multiple threads titled something along of the lines of: "Seriously, nobody is having issues with the 6L80?" with replies like "Yeah, lots of people are running TONS of power through them with no issues."

The only 6L80 failure thread I found was some guy who had catastrophic failure at 30k miles, which was obviously an anomaly. I'm sure, like every moving part, they are bound to have issues eventually, but a lot people have a lot of faith in these transmissions.

I have an 07 Denali with that damn "thunk" or what ever you wanna call it. It has no consistency with the noise, other than at low speeds. Sometimes it will happen a few times a week, sometimes I can go weeks w/o it making any noises. I have mine custom tuned and it still shifts hard sometimes at low speeds. I thought about the fluid and filter change, but the "old timers" say not to do it if you don't know if it has been done. I bought mine with around 85K and now has 135K. Mine has done this since the day I bought it.

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As vinnyray mentioned above me, that sounds like it could be the slip yoke. Greasing them might fix your clunk.

I have an 07 Denali with that damn "thunk" or what ever you wanna call it. It has no consistency with the noise, other than at low speeds. Sometimes it will happen a few times a week, sometimes I can go weeks w/o it making any noises. I have mine custom tuned and it still shifts hard sometimes at low speeds. I thought about the fluid and filter change, but the "old timers" say not to do it if you don't know if it has been done. I bought mine with around 85K and now has 135K. Mine has done this since the day I bought it.
You should be fine to do a drain and fill even if it's been done before. Most people don't even think about doing a transmission service until it starts acting up and those who are maintenance-conscious tend to follow the 100k service interval. If you bought yours at 85k, I would guess it's never been done.

Doing a transmission flush is what should be avoided. Just drain it, change the filter, replace pan gasket, fill it.

Either way, that clunk could be slip yokes. Check the link in vinnyray's post.

Erik G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the reasoning behind not doing a flush? just asking, I've never had this 6spd. Just draining and filling you're only getting about 1/5th of the fluid changed (if this is a normal automatic...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali