6 Speed Auto trans question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCope79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can a 6 speed auto trans from a 2wd be put into a 4wd if the tail housing is swapped for the transfer case? Im asking because the 4wd versions are quite a bit harder to find in the price range that im willing to pay.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Can a 6 speed auto trans from a 2wd be put into a 4wd if the tail housing is swapped for the transfer case? Im asking because the 4wd versions are quite a bit harder to find in the price range that im willing to pay.
I'd think the 2wd version wouldn't be as beefy. I know a trans guy that does the opposite with the 4l60's. Changes the tail housing--and something else--I'm not a trans guy--and puts a 4wd into a 2wd.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
J

JCope79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it still seems like i could take the output shaft & transfer case from mine and put on the 2wd trans?

tfi racing

Reaction score
But are the guts beefy enough?

Insides are all identical in the same model year,slight changes/upgrades as the years progress. You can convert the transmissions back and forth from two to four wheel drive by changing a few parts, sadly it still requires complete disassembly so it would be silly not to do a full rebuild at that point.

OP
OP
J

JCope79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea after further investigation i found this out. Thank you for the help.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Insides are all identical in the same model year,slight changes/upgrades as the years progress. You can convert the transmissions back and forth from two to four wheel drive by changing a few parts, sadly it still requires complete disassembly so it would be silly not to do a full rebuild at that point.
That’s what I found out when I was looking at transmissions for mine. Not worth it. I was considering a 2 WD conversion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekrcannon