6.2L or Duramax reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When they talk about the efficiency of a diesel car, for some reason they always compare liters to liters. But at the same time, they forget to mention that AdBlue must be poured into a diesel engine, I don’t know how in the USA, but in Russia it adds another 1.5 liters to fuel consumption in money terms. Plus, more expensive maintenance, in particular for a diesel engine, it is necessary to change the air filter more often, and it is imperative to change the fuel filter through maintenance.
Again, diesel is more expensive oil. Well, the price is initially a little more expensive for a diesel engine than for a 6.2 engine. When I compared when buying my Yukon, I got a diesel engine savings of about 4 thousand dollars for 3 years of ownership and 150 thousand kilometers. $ 4,000 is with an initial investment in the purchase of $ 150 thousand. I figured that I was ready to overpay $ 4,000 to get a more dynamic engine than a diesel engine.

The repairs are much more expensive than a naturally aspirated engine. Also, when diesels fail, they fail catastrophically. Just google "CP4 pump failure" for examples of how a high pressure fuel pump (on an HD) can take out an entire engine along with it.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The repairs are much more expensive than a naturally aspirated engine. Also, when diesels fail, they fail catastrophically. Just google "CP4 pump failure" for examples of how a high pressure fuel pump (on an HD) can take out an entire engine along with it.
Yes, and it is also

jthoske

Reaction score
Yep, I'm sure... I have 23K on mine and have put 3 jugs in it besides the factory fill. 3/4 full right now. It may not be quite 10K, but it for sure is 7K+...DEF is a non issue for me. 1st warning....dump 2.5 and motor on !
I have 4200 miles in mine currently. The DEF gauge was half empty so I just poured 2.5gallons into it for the first time since buying it. Gauge says full now.

$10/4000 miles = $.0025/mi for DEF

Last edited:

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally went ahead with a Denali XL 6.2L. Black color, well-optioned. The advice here was really valuable and I am looking forward to contributing as I learn more about the vehicle! Will try to post some pics over the weekend
Congrats! Enjoy the new rig and send pics when you get a chance.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally went ahead with a Denali XL 6.2L. Black color, well-optioned. The advice here was really valuable and I am looking forward to contributing as I learn more about the vehicle! Will try to post some pics over the weekend
Congratulations. 6.2 is a great choice)

EdTom

Reaction score
I’m seriously thinking about ordering a 2024 Tahoe next month. The engine is the big question now. I’ve owned every generation since they’ve come out. All have had 5.3’s and all have been reliable. The comment I want to share is this for whatever it’s worth. I recently asked the service manager at my longtime Chevy dealership which engine he’d go with. His answer was the 5.3. He based that on doing basically around town driving. He also stated and I agree that the new 10 speed transmission made a big difference with that engine. That said, personally I’m still undecided.

jmzvet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 5.3 in my 21 Trail Boss. It’s more than capable.
Has more HP/TQ than I need.
I tow a 3500lb boat and occasionally use 4wd. I use it like most 1/2 Ton truck buyers use their trucks.
I also have a 3.0 Duramax in my 23 Yukon but Denali. Absolutely love the Diesel/ 10 spd transmission combo

Last edited:

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cp4 isn't uses in lm2. Uses denso hp4. Im gonna say many don't understand diesel. It's not some alien tech. It's just as simple as gasser. Parts are a little more expensive. But nothing catastrophic about diesel failures. No need for false scare tactics. For the record the lm2 also has a longer warranty then a gas gm. At 5 years 100k powertrain.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cp4 isn't uses in lm2. Uses denso hp4. Im gonna say many don't understand diesel. It's not some alien tech. It's just as simple as gasser. Parts are a little more expensive. But nothing catastrophic about diesel failures. No need for false scare tactics. For the record the lm2 also has a longer warranty then a gas gm. At 5 years 100k powertrain.
This part
It's just as simple as gasser
isn't true at all when you factor in the emissions being forced upon the baby diesels.

The above isn't scare tactics, these baby diesels are full of costly bits and when they fail they are expensive.

My wife's denali just has the turbo replaced (under warranty); with warranty $0, without $2100. My ecoDiesel has had SCR's replaced twice; I believe those were $1800 each visit.

Warranty is the friend of a baby diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts