6.2L or Duramax reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all the advice. I have boiled it down to two options. Denali XL with 6.2L, I'm ok spending some more on fuel plus the vehicle will be exclusively for road trips. Second option - practicality - well optioned SLT with Duramax. The second is hard to find. I think I will end up with the first one - heart vs mind..high power and rumble and all !
Duramax fuel economy is tough to beat - yeah, a V8 sounds cool, don't get me wrong, but the diesel clatter has a charm in and of itself.

Here's our most recent trip - Shelton, WA to St. Helens, OR using I-5 and HWY 30. If any of you know that route it's mostly flat, but not "Kansas" flat. Cruise was set at 65mph on I-5 and 55mph on HWY30. I know some of you don't drive these speeds and would get run over doing much less than 80mph where you live, but in the PNW the highest speed limit sign you'll ever see is 70mph and all the two-lane highways are 55mph. Also, rig was full - 5 kids and their car seats, two big coleman coolers in the back + swim gear, clothes bags, etc.

MPG.jpg

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The duramax fits this type of heavy vehicle very well. All the torque down low, easy cruising with little revs and unbeatable fuel economy. Perfect for hauling lots of people, stuff, tow or all of the above.

Literally nothing about this platform has characteristics for any type of “hot rodding”. If you want a hot rod there are much more capable options, even in SUV form (AMG GLS, X7 M50, SQ7).

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Duramax fuel economy is tough to beat - yeah, a V8 sounds cool, don't get me wrong, but the diesel clatter has a charm in and of itself.

Here's our most recent trip - Shelton, WA to St. Helens, OR using I-5 and HWY 30. If any of you know that route it's mostly flat, but not "Kansas" flat. Cruise was set at 65mph on I-5 and 55mph on HWY30. I know some of you don't drive these speeds and would get run over doing much less than 80mph where you live, but in the PNW the highest speed limit sign you'll ever see is 70mph and all the two-lane highways are 55mph. Also, rig was full - 5 kids and their car seats, two big coleman coolers in the back + swim gear, clothes bags, etc.

View attachment 406649
Made that trip before. Beautiful. Anytime I can get away from Pewgene, Or., I take the chance.

v3scott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll throw in one more vote for the Duramax after 10k miles.

I'm in SoCal and my wife daily drives it as our family hauler. She rarely drives more than 8 mi trips and its been great. We had one issue in the first 1,500 mi where a hose clamp was loose causing an emissions error code but was fixed same day and no issues since.

This was my first diesel and while I steeled myself the challenge, I worried about any complications that cause issues with regen issues or cold weather when we go skiing. Thankfully, all that worry was for naught and I haven't dealt with anything other than normal DEF fill ups (which are super easy). Obviously in the wrong environment, ie short drives in a Minnesota winter, you may fare differently, but outside of extremes, it truly is a great daily driver.

We love the mpg as well. We only fill up every two weeks and living in a hilly area of OC we average about 20ish mi gallon on short trips. Took a long trip to Santa Barbara with stop and go traffic through LA and averaged 27.8/mpg.

On performance, the car has never felt slow. Despite the fact its a 6,000lb beast, the low end torque gives it a quick jump off the line (about the same torque as the 6.2). Passing someone at freeway speeds is no sweat. Unless I was trying to 1/4 mi someone for pink slips, I have never felt there wasn't more power readily available. No doubt the 6.2 has "more power" in real world I think you're splitting hairs you won't notice.

Last thing I'll add is I was in the same boat, battling with my head and my heart, wanting the Denali. When we got ours a year ago the Denali's were still easily seeing a strong $15k+ dealer premium. Reluctantly I followed my head and got the loaded SLT and have no regrets. Yes there are a couple things that would be nice to have but that's life. Now, whenever we load up the family to drive somewhere and everyone is comfortable, the car drives great and I glance down and see the gauge that shows "25 mpg" all I can think about is how perfect it is and I couldn't be happier.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When they talk about the efficiency of a diesel car, for some reason they always compare liters to liters. But at the same time, they forget to mention that AdBlue must be poured into a diesel engine, I don’t know how in the USA, but in Russia it adds another 1.5 liters to fuel consumption in money terms. Plus, more expensive maintenance, in particular for a diesel engine, it is necessary to change the air filter more often, and it is imperative to change the fuel filter through maintenance.
Again, diesel is more expensive oil. Well, the price is initially a little more expensive for a diesel engine than for a 6.2 engine. When I compared when buying my Yukon, I got a diesel engine savings of about 4 thousand dollars for 3 years of ownership and 150 thousand kilometers. $ 4,000 is with an initial investment in the purchase of $ 150 thousand. I figured that I was ready to overpay $ 4,000 to get a more dynamic engine than a diesel engine.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get 10k miles out of a 2.5 gallon container of def?
Really? Are you sure?

We have 5 of the baby dmax's in a group here at work and all of use get around 1k miles per gallon of def when empty. Towing they use significantly more (8.2 gallons during my last 1500 mile trip pulling 5k lbs).

GM also states the 1k per gallon number as an estimate.
Yep, I'm sure... I have 23K on mine and have put 3 jugs in it besides the factory fill. 3/4 full right now. It may not be quite 10K, but it for sure is 7K+...DEF is a non issue for me. 1st warning....dump 2.5 and motor on !

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm sure... I have 23K on mine and have put 3 jugs in it besides the factory fill. 3/4 full right now. It may not be quite 10K, but it for sure is 7K+...DEF is a non issue for me. 1st warning....dump 2.5 and motor on !
I wonder why your usage is so different

Here is my last 9k miles
I bought 5 2.5 gallon jugs at the same time; have used 4 of them in the Denali in the last 9k miles (20k to 29k on the truck); the remaining jug was used in an ecoDiesel.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally went ahead with a Denali XL 6.2L. Black color, well-optioned. The advice here was really valuable and I am looking forward to contributing as I learn more about the vehicle! Will try to post some pics over the weekend
Congrats, and enjoy. Be nice to it till you get to 500 miles...then you can really open her up and hear her roar!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n