6.2 L94 DOD AFM delete advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if a L94 DOD/AFM delete can be done by switching over to LS9 lifters / push rods and a L92 valley cover, leaving the oem VVT cam and using HP tuners to disable AFM? I have future plans to do a LSA supercharger swap in the spring and if everything plays nice I’d like to stick with the oem VVT cam for now.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's a big debate on other sites about if you can run normal lifters on the afm lifter lobes. some of the older threads said you can, most say you'll have a missfire code and run rough.

don't see why, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. it's a lot of work to be wrong, but I have a feeling the base of the cam is different on the afm lobes and if you measured the push rods and got the right size you could probably do it. but also it's pointless, if your that far in a cam is pretty easy to pull. there's oem cams that don't have afm but keep the vvt. theres also aftermarket ones.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOPE... the actual lobes on a DOD cam are different from the "normal" to the Dod ones.
You can get a non dod oe camshaft for an ls3/ls9 that still retains the vvt or just go aftermarket.
The LS9 cam is pretty lazy on our heavy trucks.. So an aftermarket is the best choice.
Go very very small...Like the smallest one just over stock..
Keep the LSA on the cam wide - like 115+ degrees. Forced Induction will perform better
with the wider cam LSA

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOPE... the actual lobes on a DOD cam are different from the "normal" to the Dod ones.
You can get a non dod oe camshaft for an ls3/ls9 that still retains the vvt or just go aftermarket.
The LS9 cam is pretty lazy on our heavy trucks.. So an aftermarket is the best choice.
Keep the LSA on the cam wide - like 115+ degrees. Forced Induction will perform better
with the wider cam LSA

I haven't looked at cams in years but I thought the ls7/9 cam was lazy because of the wide lobe separation?

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the wider cam LSA
Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it! I was wondering if the 2010+ CTS-V’s were VVT then possibly go with that + the LS7 lifters / springs to make the tune easier down the line since HP Tuners already have the baseline tune with the LSA?

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score

there's a big debate on other sites about if you can run normal lifters on the afm lifter lobes. some of the older threads said you can, most say you'll have a missfire code and run rough.

don't see why, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. it's a lot of work to be wrong, but I have a feeling the base of the cam is different on the afm lobes and if you measured the push rods and got the right size you could probably do it. but also it's pointless, if your that far in a cam is pretty easy to pull. there's oem cams that don't have afm but keep the vvt. theres also aftermarket ones.
i was just reading a debate on the HP Tuners forum stating “the cam shaft angle tables are very similar between the L94 and the L9H” but not quite convincing enough for me to tryout lol

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wondering if a L94 DOD/AFM delete can be done by switching over to LS9 lifters / push rods and a L92 valley cover, leaving the oem VVT cam and using HP tuners to disable AFM? I have future plans to do a LSA supercharger swap in the spring and if everything plays nice I’d like to stick with the oem VVT cam for now.
Confirming what others here are saying as a fellow L94 owner with an aftermarket cam. The AFM cam has a different base circle and lobe profile, which causes the errors with non-AFM lifters and trays. I have the Cam Motion Stage 2 truck cam and love it. Smooth idle, great power gains. Haven’t missed VVT at all.

rdezs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for feedback from anyone who has used the l9h camshaft when deleting AFM DOD.
Looking at the specs, it's very very close to the stock l94 camshaft with just a little more duration. I'm just wondering if I will need to come up with a tune to run that camshaft, or if it's close enough that the computer won't notice.

Using Brian tooley's LS7 lifters and trays, melling 10 296 oil pump with the + 10 psi spring,. Piecing together my own kit as it seems the retailers out there want to pawn a 6.0 camshaft in their kits for the 6.2. That does shave a couple hundred bucks off the price I suppose, but it just sounds like less power based on the specs. I already have AFM DOD tuned out with a Diablo tuner, and I'm hoping the rest will be Plug and Play.

rdezs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also this is a matter of preventative maintenance, engine still running fine. Plan to pull the motor and do all this in early March, as it needs a rear main seal or rear cover gasket replaced. Small leak, maybe three drops a day on the garage floor

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for feedback from anyone who has used the l9h camshaft when deleting AFM DOD.
Looking at the specs, it's very very close to the stock l94 camshaft with just a little more duration. I'm just wondering if I will need to come up with a tune to run that camshaft, or if it's close enough that the computer won't notice.

Using Brian tooley's LS7 lifters and trays, melling 10 296 oil pump with the + 10 psi spring,. Piecing together my own kit as it seems the retailers out there want to pawn a 6.0 camshaft in their kits for the 6.2. That does shave a couple hundred bucks off the price I suppose, but it just sounds like less power based on the specs. I already have AFM DOD tuned out with a Diablo tuner, and I'm hoping the rest will be Plug and Play.
As far as I know, it will run fine on the stock tune minus AFM, of course.

For your oil leak, check where the oil cooler lines go in just above the oil filter. That is the most common leak point on these engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts