5202 LED bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r6acer

Reaction score
So i just finished installing an HID kit in fog and headlights and after about 30 min of use i noticed the fogs have a slightly started to burn around the bulb when using an H16 bulb. as much as i dont want to forfeit on HID in the fog lights, i dont want to replace the lenses soon as this seems to be a common problem now that i researched. anyway,... heres an asthetic alternative some of you might be interested in...

LEDs for the fogs....

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/5202special.aspx

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had them and they suck IMHO. They would not lock into place and the tabs ended up breaking off. They don't put out any light and for me they didn't match my 6000K HID's. Just buy a 5202 HID kit and be done.

OP
OP
r6acer

r6acer

Reaction score
I do have the 5202 kit. the housing just isnt made to take the heat imo. Im running 5 k low beams which should match so im just going to use the LEDs until i can find a better housing.

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the 5202 kit. the housing just isnt made to take the heat imo. Im running 5 k low beams which should match so im just going to use the LEDs until i can find a better housing.
Lots of people have no issues with 35W 5202 HIDs in their fogs.... :shrug: Bummer, man. But LED fogs aren't very effective. You're better off just sticking with the OEM lamps.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
So i just finished installing an HID kit in fog and headlights and after about 30 min of use i noticed the fogs have a slightly started to burn around the bulb when using an H16 bulb. as much as i dont want to forfeit on HID in the fog lights, i dont want to replace the lenses soon as this seems to be a common problem now that i researched. anyway,... heres an asthetic alternative some of you might be interested in...

LEDs for the fogs....

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/5202special.aspx

I am now in the process of replacing both fog light housings because one has completely melted and the other is burned yellow inside the housing. Melted to the point of it almost catching on fire. Part if it had to do with not being seated in correctly, but I am seriously considering going LED. I believe Modded is running LED fogs and said they were good, but you have them there for looks only as they don’t put out shit for light.

My fog light is so melted that the bulb itself melted all the plastic around the light and the whole back of the housing collapsed.

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am now in the process of replacing both fog light housings because one has completely melted and the other is burned yellow inside the housing. Melted to the point of it almost catching on fire. Part if it had to do with not being seated in correctly, but I am seriously considering going LED. I believe Modded is running LED fogs and said they were good, but you have them there for looks only as they don’t put out shit for light.

My fog light is so melted that the bulb itself melted all the plastic around the light and the whole back of the housing collapsed.
If you put a standard lamp in the housing incorrectly it would probably damage it, as well. Not the HID's fault. I don't know why people keep blaming the HIDs themselves for melted housings. A 35W HID bulb runs cooler than the OEM halogens....FACT.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
is that a FACT 2elo. Then why the **** did the other side burn the housing yellow. And I am not the only one who has discussed this happening. There is no way an HID burns cooler than a halogen, otherwise that would not have happened.

FYI both fog lights were 5202 and 35 watt.

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that a FACT 2elo. Then why the **** did the other side burn the housing yellow. And I am not the only one who has discussed this happening. There is no way an HID burns cooler than a halogen, otherwise that would not have happened.

FYI both fog lights were 5202 and 35 watt.
It is a fact, actually.... Bummer that happened to you, but the bulb itself wasn't the problem. Maybe it didn't fit right or something else. But yes, HIDs do in FACT burn cooler than halogens, all other variables ruled out. :Handshake:

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
Im am going to try it again. Luckily the bulbs are cheap and new fog lights are not too expensive. I am hoping that if I install the bulbs into the housings before the housings are installed that I can rule out any fitment error. I guess that will be the true test.
I have heard that the 35 watt HIDs are cooler, and by no means am I saying you are wrong. Or at least I didnt meant oo. But it sure seems like they would be. They even seemed hot to the touch, but then again maybe my halogens did too and I never noticed.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Let me bring some Modded knowledge to thsi thread! :D
1. 35w HIDs do burn cooler than halogen bulbs.
2. Here is the twist, the stock 5202 bulbs ARE NOT halogen bulbs, they are 100% incandescent bulbs, meaning they are pretty much like your turn signal and/or taillight bulbs.
3. I know the above statement because all halogen bulbs have gas in them, the stock 5202 ones don't. I ran the Putco H16 bulbs in my fogs, which are halogen, and they used to get hot as hell and even put some heat warp on the interior of the housings. Worst part is they are small ass halogens!:Boo:
4. HIDs in these fogs cause BS too much, seated right or wrong, its just kinf of hard for the housings to handle the heat, especially when the car is not moving, but the fogs are on..
5. I run LEDs in the fogs and will never change that, they light ouput is useless pretty much, but they are bright. My HID headlights provide enough lighting for me, more than two times the light output the stock halogen lowbeams and crap stock 5202 bulbs provide COMBINED!!

Now Conor you could give HIDs a try again, but I suggest getting 20W ballast so they burn cooler (less light output though), some vendor on GMFS sells them if I remember right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvain_Yukon