5.7 Distributor Ain't it a Grand Design!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3dirtwheels

Reaction score
I've had a 98 Tahoe since 2008 when it had a mere 65k miles on it. I put over 230k miles on that 5.7, loved it and it never let me down unless the distributor got wet or accumulated a few miles on it. I put more distributor caps and rotor buttons on that 5.7 than I put on all of the many trucks and cars I've ran since 1980 when I got my 1st truck, a '71 K5 blazer.

Not being one to learn from the past too well, and still stinging from regret letting my K5 Blazer go, I decided to drop in a venerable 383 in to replace the tired 5.7. A few minor issues from the replacement included a bad distributor from the factory. Replaced that and and it's nearly great. So now I'm smitten all over again, my little red truck moves better than ever. So while playing in the snopocolypse of 2022 I splashed thru a big puddle and my fun was over, I limped it back home and dried it out the next morning and that lil red truck fired up with a roar ready to go.

So who knows the trick to solve the notorious distributor issue. Is there a better distributor? Is there a mod to keep the water out? If the distributor is sealed it seems that would exacerbate the problem of moisture from the crankcase.

I look forward to hearing any ideas and/or solutions. Thanks in advance!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If I remember right, the baseplate of the distributor has a vent built in to it. Or I am thinking of another earlier design.

OP
OP
3dirtwheels

3dirtwheels

Reaction score

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have a 1998 2 door tahoe with a 383 as well. Also go thru distributors cap like they are going out of style. My rig is not my daily driver anymore and I get tons of condensation all over the motor and inside the distributor cap. When it starts missing, I spray out the distributor cap with WD40, wipe clean and reinstall. This gets it going for another couple months. It would be good to find a permanent solution. Maybe driving it more...

3dirtwheels, which 383 did you get and did you tune the computer, if so, who did it. Thanks.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you seen this?

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting. i am on my "second" dizzy since the truck was purchased with 86k miles . ran the way we bought it till around 150 ish and i replaced it. currently at 230 with zero issues

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts