2019 Tahoe corroded freon tube leak - manfr design flaw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pdeak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
An aluminum freon tube runs along the driver side under carraige to the back of the vehicle. where the tubing bends up into the rear tire well there is a foam guard on the tubing. salt water gets under the foam and corrodes holes in the tubing allowing freon to leak. I made chevy aware of this design flaw with photos of the corrosion. Although I was a few thousand miles out of warranty chev paid for half of the $1500 tubing replacement. First thing I did when I got the tahoe back with the new aluminum tubing is I sealed both sides of the foam cover generously with silicon. This should be a recalled item. I saved my corroded parts and repair invoice. 2019 Tahoe LT 8 cyl. Has anyone else experienced this?

Brian71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased a CPO 17 Tahoe Premier. A/C didn't work, it was the line you mentioned, not under warranty. The service adviser said it was a wear item. They did replace the rear evaporator as well. They covered that under warranty.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a CPO 17 Tahoe Premier. A/C didn't work, it was the line you mentioned, not under warranty. The service adviser said it was a wear item. They did replace the rear evaporator as well. They covered that under warranty.

Heh, I guess when they design them like that an inanimate piece of tubing IS a wear item!! :mad:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to get some fluid film and have an afternoon rust proofing party. Soak all that stuff in the goo and seal it up from moisture and salt.

I can't stand the stupidity of some engineers these days. But, it may have been swept under the rug as planned obsolescence to drive future vehicle sales/repairs.

It's almost as bad as the foam piece that was put in doors on the c/k trucks of the 80's and 90's that just held moisture and helped the rot sneak in. Or, the same damn foam that was used inside the cavity between cab and rockers/cab corners on the 99-06 trucks that, once wet, won't dry out.

Brian71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Heh, I guess when they design them like that an inanimate piece of tubing IS a wear item!! :mad:
Yeah no kidding I had an 06 Z71 Tahoe with rear heat/ac and I never had a leak. It had the best ac of any vehicle that I ever owned. We called it the meat locker because the ac worked so well

trottida

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That rear HVAC line is a problem in multiple generations and not a cheap repair. The lines should be coated front to back as the aluminum corrodes at any contact point along the routing. I've had them corrode in both my 2005 Suburban and my 2011 Suburban. They seem to last about 10 years in Northern climates. You can only get the lines as a set of 4 (2 AC and 2 coolant) and each individual line needs a compression fitting to splice it together as they are not continuous like it came from the factory. GM should have resolved this years ago; it's likely planned obsolescence. My 2001 Suburban didn't have this issue and I sold it when it was at the 12 year mark. I do heavily rust proof my Suburbans too.

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rear HVAC line is a problem in multiple generations and not a cheap repair. The lines should be coated front to back as the aluminum corrodes at any contact point along the routing. I've had them corrode in both my 2005 Suburban and my 2011 Suburban. They seem to last about 10 years in Northern climates. You can only get the lines as a set of 4 (2 AC and 2 coolant) and each individual line needs a compression fitting to splice it together as they are not continuous like it came from the factory. GM should have resolved this years ago; it's likely planned obsolescence. My 2001 Suburban didn't have this issue and I sold it when it was at the 12 year mark. I do heavily rust proof my Suburbans too.
There is a shop in Michigan that makes replacement A/C lines that are way better than factory and i would say last forever.They make them for most any make.Mine were replaced 2x and then I found this dealer in Michigan and ordered the kite ,well worth it.Check my previous posts and go from there.

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a shop in Michigan that makes replacement A/C lines that are way better than factory and i would say last forever.They make them for most any make.Mine were replaced 2x and then I found this dealer in Michigan and ordered the kit ,well worth it.Check my previous posts and go from there.

HOME of THE BLUMARU HOUNDS. 2015 Tahoe LS 4wd.Iridium.

OP
OP
P

pdeak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A wear item is an easy for Chevy dealer. If designed correctly this tube should last 300,000 miles not 30.000 miles

trottida

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a shop in Michigan that makes replacement A/C lines that are way better than factory and i would say last forever.They make them for most any make.Mine were replaced 2x and then I found this dealer in Michigan and ordered the kite ,well worth it.Check my previous posts and go from there.
That would be Auto Cooling Solutions. They make them from high pressure A/C barrier hose. I did consider buying them however I was talked out of it. They aren't cheap either and shipping into Canada is expensive. I'd probably go that route next round though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts