4x4 wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys

Nv4500 is in, NP241 is in too - came together without too much trouble and lots of help from guys on here. Background 2 door 97 tahoe which had 4L60e and NP243 push button 4x4. Having no luck figuring out the problems with the 4x4 front differential actuator and the NP241. The switch from the NP241 is continuous when extended and discontinuous when compressed. I've tapped into the brown wire on the actuator itself (other end of switch grounded) and it just blows fuses (the 4x4 fuse in the cab). I can't find any diagrams for the 4x4 wiring in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck with my tranny/transfer case setup. Anyone have any clues? Thanks

Auto zone suggests gray/black wire is the transfer case switch wire...agree?

Dave

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
for the 243,on the two wire actuator the light blue needs voltage to extend the black wire is the ground. brown wire from 4wd fuse goes to switch an when compressed out puts to the light blue wire. in that same switch a wire, gray/black, from the pcm gets grounded to inform the pcm of the 4wd mode. actuator and switch are identical to a 1995 241.

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunlit, I have no blue wire except on the stub of the pigtail i pulled from the junkyard. There might be a blue wire somewhere in the round tranny harness...?
The xfer case is a 241 also. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I know my 241 is somewhat different in that it only has the two pin 4x4 switch..

this blue wire??
20151104_175029_zpsieqeclg7.gif
20151104_174950_zps2677qocg.gif or this one??

Im really appreciative. I promise I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
ignore the pcm wire then. brown still carries the supply voltage and t-case switch still activates front actuator. that is based on a 1993 two wire setup. wire on the tranny connector is not the same. what color wires are on the chassis connector of front actuator?

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20151114_065511_zpsgwxgn9b4.gif
Excuse the jump wire in red. This is the actuator on the front diff.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
been up playing hay day and boom beach. so you have the new design actuator from tsb. black is common ground. you ground the grey/black wire to command engagement. black/white puts out power to say a light when the unit is fully engaged. the other wire is power from 4wd fuse and is likely brown in color.

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet action. Drove her around the land. 4x4 works, reverse lights work, speedo works. Thank you to all of you, mainly SLC. So helpful. Could not have done it without you man. Now I have to figure out why the power door locks turn the interior lights on and the keyless entry doesn't work. I'm thinking brake fluid is somewhere it shouldn't have been and has shorted something. Either way she's running good. Thanks!

OP
OP
Dneel81

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SLC you must be a glutton for punishment. The keyless entry doesn't do squat. I did a few victory laps on my land in 4x4 (trying out 4Lo, 4Hi, reverse, etc) and then parked the truck. I had disconnected the battery and figured they needed a reprogram (go figure). Either way they ain't working. Jumped the programmer plug-in thingiemawhatsit (pins 4 & 8 with a paperclip) and no lock/unlock to signals programming mode. So I closed up for supper and noted the power locks on the door panels didn't work but the inside lights did come on while I pushed the door handle button. So hold the door lock button down and the interior lights stay on as long as your finger is on the button. Of note, the door jam switch ( just aft of the fuse panel on the driver side dash panel (the thing that tells the truck its door is open) is broken. I bumped it and it crumbled.

THIS IS BROKEN AND I JUST TOOK IT OUT OF THE TRUCK

acd6066_1_zpshlpcar6y.gif

So I never found out what was making the parking lights stay on all the time (about mid build of the NV4500). I fiddled around with the group of wires going into the fuse panel in the cab (behind the dash on the driver side) and they went off. I think I still have some wires shorted or something screwy inside the dash.

PS I took the DRL module out of the truck too. It's hunting season...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz