4WD not working but no Service 4wd light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I don't hear the actuator that would mean it's the problem? I haven't heard the actuator moving at all, the only thing that changes is the light on the switch.
Your 4wd dash light will NOT change if the encoder ring isnt reporting back commanded (You pushing the buttons) position wasnt completed. The commanded position is put in motion by the shift motor (AKA Encoder Motor). So your shift motor is fine and there is no way any of your dash 4wd indicators would change without it working correctly.
Your front driveshaft is either not turning because of an internal failure of the Tcase (Tcase chain) or your front driveshaft is turning under Tcase power but your front axles arent locked in because of front actuator problem (either mechanical or electrical).

Needs to be put on a lift to find out which and troubleshoot from there.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suspect the actuator, if it is not working usually it should give a code/error or service 4wd on the display but maybe not in this case
I think they run about $150-160.00

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suspect the actuator, if it is not working usually it should give a code/error or service 4wd on the display but maybe not in this case
I think they run about $150-160.00
Wanna bet? :p Ill bet you a set of OEM Spark Plugs. And ill need my plugs for a 05 Yukon Denali 6.0. AC Delco! ;)

When the shift motor doesnt goto commanded position the 4wd light flashes and stays like that until 2wd is pushed or vehicle is shutoff and turned back on.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your 4wd dash light will NOT change if the encoder ring isnt reporting back commanded (You pushing the buttons) position wasnt completed. The commanded position is put in motion by the shift motor (AKA Encoder Motor). So your shift motor is fine and there is no way any of your dash 4wd indicators would change without it working correctly.
Your front driveshaft is either not turning because of an internal failure of the Tcase (Tcase chain) or your front driveshaft is turning under Tcase power but your front axles arent locked in because of front actuator problem (either mechanical or electrical).

I agree with this guy you need to at least put it on 4 stands and see if you see what is happening, you may also be able to unbolt the actuator and have someone hit the buttons and see if it is moving position or not

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanna bet? :p Ill bet you a set of OEM Spark Plugs. And ill need my plugs for a 05 Yukon Denali 6.0. AC Delco! ;)

When the shift motor doesnt goto commanded position the 4wd light flashes and stays like that until 2wd is pushed or vehicle is shutoff and turned back on.
it should be giving a code or rejecting the command, but I've seen stranger things happen.....

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and that was was my first thought is the front one isn't engaging, that one is cheaper and easier to replace.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it should be giving a code or rejecting the command, but I've seen stranger things happen.....
Why would it give a code if the shift motor is going to the commanded position? It wouldnt because its doing exactly what its suppose to be doing. The 4wd module has no way to tell if the front driveshaft is being powered by the Tcase. If there is an internal mechanical fault like a busted or loose chain then the 4wd module will NOT know this has happened. All it knows it that the transfer case was commanded into 4wd Hi and the shift motor physically put it in that range selection successfully after the button was pushed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would it give a code if the shift motor is going to the commanded position? It wouldnt because its doing exactly what its suppose to be doing. The 4wd module has no way to tell if the front driveshaft is being powered by the Tcase. If there is an internal mechanical fault like a busted or loose chain then the 4wd module will NOT know this has happened. All it knows it that the transfer case was commanded into 4wd Hi and the shift motor physically put it in that range selection successfully after the button was pushed.
I agree with you I was confusing the t-case actuator with the front actuator and got side tracked to the t case one, lol

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you I was confusing the t-case actuator with the front actuator and got side tracked to the t case one, lol
It should take longer to put on jackstand or a lift than to see if the driveshaft is turning or not while in 4wd hi. That will tell whether problem is in the Tcase or up front in the front actuator. Shouldnt take but a minute or so...while chewing gum and blowing bubbles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenTV GUy