4WD not working but no Service 4wd light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Praying it's not a blown up tcase since that's expensive, Hopefully it's an actuator, just have to wait for the weather to get better before I can get a look underneath and see what's up.
Does it take a certain amount of time to throw a service 4wd light? It only happened yesterday so maybe that's the case?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Praying it's not a blown up tcase since that's expensive, Hopefully it's an actuator, just have to wait for the weather to get better before I can get a look underneath and see what's up.
Does it take a certain amount of time to throw a service 4wd light? It only happened yesterday so maybe that's the case?
It would be an instant service 4wd on the cluster. If the chain is gone then its not that expensive if you can pull the transfer case yourself and the gears arent bad. There are youtube vids that show it all. Its easy. I totally rebuilt my wifes Tahoe transfer case after she shucked the chain through the case body. I bought a rebuildable Tcase core and went at it. New bearings, seals, clutches, Pump Fix spacer and chain. Less than $300 for parts.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Austin, a Tech2 would be a good friend to have right now. If you're going to keep this truck it's an essential tool; more important than a wrench or ratchet even.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Austin, a Tech2 would be a good friend to have right now. If you're going to keep this truck it's an essential tool; more important than a wrench or ratchet even.
Tech 2 Would not prove/disapprove a internal fault to the Tcase. It could be used to activate the front axles but simply jacking up off the ground as I mentioned above would be a quick and dirty. The ****** clone Tech 2 is nice to have though! Best $250 Ive ever spent.

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be an instant service 4wd on the cluster. If the chain is gone then its not that expensive if you can pull the transfer case yourself and the gears arent bad. There are youtube vids that show it all. Its easy. I totally rebuilt my wifes Tahoe transfer case after she shucked the chain through the case body. I bought a rebuildable Tcase core and went at it. New bearings, seals, clutches, Pump Fix spacer and chain. Less than $300 for parts.

You got the core and parts for $300? How hard was it to rebuild everything? Any special tools required

I'm planning on it, going to save up for the Tech2 and hopefully have one in a month or so.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only "special" tools needed are a internal snap ring pliers and a bearing/bushing driver (but this can be substituted with a socket, pipe, etc.) I searched for a core on car-parts.com. They are all over the place or you can get a used unit too. Rebuilt units are on ebay all the time.

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it should be, but you will want to look at it, there is a silver dollar sized stamped plate on the transfer case (rear) showing the model and other numbers you will need
What should those numbers be? Or how would I interpret them?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure but if you were looking for a replacement the parts supplier will usually need those numbers to be sure you get the right unit, you could always google for more information
middle will say np246 then there is 2 other numbers under it and maybe one above it, I haven't looked at one in a while but I think that's all there is on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts