4wd issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've used 4wd, had a few issues with the 4wd switch but it always seems to fix itself. Tried out the 4wd today and it goes into 4wd Auto easy, no issue. When I try to switch into 4wd high, the light flashes then goes into 4wd Auto. In neutral, I switch to 4wd low and there is a clunk and I'm in 4wd low. What would cause the issue of not going into 4wd high? There is no noises going into 4wd Auto, and no noises of 4wd high. It's a 2004 Tahoe Z71 all fluids have been checked and changed under 10k miles, any ideas?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading a few threads about encoder motor vs the switch itself. Although I’ve not tackled the switch before it seems to be the easier of the 2 to change. Hopefully others more knowledgeable will chime in. Meantime, search this forum for encoder motor and 4wd switch threads.

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to testing the 4wd switch. Seems everything tests good as long as you push just right and not move any direction from there, the slightest move will through the numbers off. Gonna swap the switch first and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn