4WD experts needed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your going slow, stop and then put it in 4 hi. id rather not be spinning the back wheels then make it go into 4wd. seems harsh.

if you go for 4 low you need to stop and put it in N then 4 low, you'll hear a clunk, then you can drive off.

if you so worried just put it in 4 hi after you spin around at the ramp and back in. if taking it out, back in then put it in 4 hi before you drive off with the loaded trailer.

Garandman

Reaction score
Don’t know where Casey is, but in Boston we have 10’ tides and Maine can be even more. As a result, ramps are steep, usually wet, and often covered in vegetation.

Going in should be no problem, but coming out we would use 4WD or 4WD low every time. Our boats are 3,500 and just under 6,000 on the Trailer.

Backing down in 2WD shouldn’t be a problem but 95 out of 100 people with 4WD vehicles would engage it anyway, because Tahoe’s don’t float very well. Every season there is someone who doesn’t engage the brakes and winds up drowning their vehicle, and once it’s immersed in salt water it’s toast.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I typically get lined up with the ramp the best that I can (so that I have to do minimal turning) and engage 4LO. Back it in, pull it out. Get to the top of the ramp, put it back in 2WD.

If I can see that the ramps are busy and that I may have to do a bit more maneuvering to get to the ramp, I wait until I am fully on the ramp (you're probably going to be going straight by the time you are physically on the ramp) and lock it in 4LO.

To each is their own, the main thing is not to make any turns, or minimal if you must, while in 4WD. You will feel the resistance when doing so. Good warning to straighten it back out before you damage anything.

Hope this helps!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave it in auto and don’t worry about it... turn, dont turn.. youll be fine. once the rear slips, front will kick in and drag your ass out... if it dont pull out in auto switch to 4 high... no its not good to turn in 4hi or low on dry pvmt but 1 or 2 turns and you’ll remember to swap it back to auto or 2 wheel drive. You can drive in auto all you want all it does is lock the hubs until power is needed or ‘transferred’ to the front.

Etraeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that if you are just engaging it when you are launching the boat or hauling it out of the water and you will most likely be doing so straight in and out, there would be no problem. Better safe than soggy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65