2022 Z71 Tahoe Transmission drive mode 2WD/4WD auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTJoeK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm ready to be roasted if necessary.

36,000 miles on a Z71 and almost all in 4WD auto. I know now that it should be 2WD only if traction is good. My real question is now that I'm getting studdering in the transmission (shifts hard and jerky in 4WD auto mode with transmission fluid temps above 145 F to 165+ F) is the damage already done to the transfer case?

We have always had AWD vehicles up until now so I thought 4WD Auto was the preferred mode if you didn't care about the "best" gas mileage.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d try putting it in 2WD mode just to see if the same shuddering still exists. If it does, then it probably has nothing to do with leaving it in AUTO mode and just coincidental.

Guessing others are more experts than myself with this but I thought leaving it in that mode just wears out stuff a little faster such as the front axles that run the front wheels (not the rear/drive axel parts).

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@VTJoeK, If you have 36k miles all in Auto mode, I’d highly recommend a transfer case fluid change at 45k miles and a transmission fluid change at same time. This is consistent w/ the “severe” driving maintenance schedule in the owners manual. I’d classify 36k mikes in AUTO as severe. There is only about 1.5qt of fluid in the transfer case. Cheap insurance.

OP
OP
V

VTJoeK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’d try putting it in 2WD mode just to see if the same shuddering still exists. If it does, then it probably has nothing to do with leaving it in AUTO mode and just coincidental.

Guessing others are more experts than myself with this but I thought leaving it in that mode just wears out stuff a little faster such as the front axles that run the front wheels (not the rear/drive axel parts).
No it does work just fine in 2WD mode. Just wondering if 4WD will be an issue moving forward.

OP
OP
V

VTJoeK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@VTJoeK, If you have 36k miles all in Auto mode, I’d highly recommend a transfer case fluid change at 45k miles and a transmission fluid change at same time. This is consistent w/ the “severe” driving maintenance schedule in the owners manual. I’d classify 36k mikes in AUTO as severe. There is only about 1.5qt of fluid in the transfer case. Cheap insurance.
Oh that is a great idea I hadn't considered. Thanks!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have done some damage to the clutches in the TC, but I would service it first. If you do it, make a note of the color and condition. Drain it into a CLEAN pan so you can see what comes out. You might find metal, clutch debris, etc. Or, you may just see a darker red/brown fluid from being overworked.

Either way you get it done, I'd start there. Then drive around in 2wd and monitor it. Repeat on 4wd and see how it goes. If it's improved, then it was fluid related. And, if it works that way, then I would recommend changing it again after about 10k to help keep it fresh because the new fluid will wash clean the inside pretty fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo