4l80e swap - transfer case question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffg

Reaction score
I am picking up my 4l80e transmission today and I noticed that it still has the HD transfer case bolted to it. The seller wants an extra $300 for the HD transfer case. Is it worth it to keep the HD transfercase, or should I use the original tahoe transfer case and swap the input shaft? The tahoe has Autotrac, but I dont know if the 2500HD that the transfer case is from did or not.

If I use the HD transfer case, can I just swap the motors/electroncs and make it plug and play?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am picking up my 4l80e transmission today and I noticed that it still has the HD transfer case bolted to it. The seller wants an extra $300 for the HD transfer case. Is it worth it to keep the HD transfercase, or should I use the original tahoe transfer case and swap the input shaft? The tahoe has Autotrac, but I dont know if the 2500HD that the transfer case is from did or not.

If I use the HD transfer case, can I just swap the motors/electroncs and make it plug and play?
@randeez

Randy, would it be easier to use the donor or swap parts into the existing one?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swapping the input would prob be a the easiest to keep everything else working, not sure if a 3/4ton came with an equivalent autotrac. and may need driveshaft shortened

OP
OP
J

jeffg

Reaction score
Look like the new TCase is an NP263HD. Looks like its probably a no go. I guess I will just order a new input shaft and throw this one back on marketplace.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look like the new TCase is an NP263HD. Looks like its probably a no go. I guess I will just order a new input shaft and throw this one back on marketplace.
While you are changing the 246 input shaft, you might want to address the pump rub problem with plate fix and dont be surprised that the chain needs replaced too. Me personally...If im opening up its getting new seals, bearings and likely atleast a chain along with the pump rub fix plate.

OP
OP
J

jeffg

Reaction score
While you are changing the 246 input shaft, you might want to address the pump rub problem with plate fix and dont be surprised that the chain needs replaced too. Me personally...If im opening up its getting new seals, bearings and likely atleast a chain along with the pump rub fix plate.
Thanks, I will keep that mind.

OP
OP
J

jeffg

Reaction score
Is there a good shop that sells a conversion kit for the 246? input shaft, bearings, seals, etc? It looks like Merchant has some good parts for the pump rub problem.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dont forget to inspect your rear case halve for the infamous pump rub hole. If it has already started, junk the rear case halve and get a new rear case halve or maybe a salvage one. If your vehicle has the Auto 4wd option then you will need to buy 2qts of the blue fluid (which is NOT pure tranny fluid).

You will need a pair of extended reach internal/external snapring pliers to remove the various snaprings. Bearing and seal drivers are a big help but can be replaced with ingenuity.

Stick your bearings in the freezer the night before the big day of reassembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapperdadman