4L65E Trans Is A Grenade Change My Mind

Are 4L65E transmissions a ticking time bomb?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I loved the truck so much, and if it had no other big issues, I’d be inclined to rebuild the trans or even install a new one rather than sell it as-is and start all over again with a different truck. I’d see it as a safer bet in the long run.

Call me crazy. :confused: :)

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
If I loved the truck so much, and if it had no other big issues, I’d be inclined to rebuild the trans or even install a new one rather than sell it as-is and start all over again with a different truck. I’d see it as a safer bet in the long run.

Call me crazy. :confused: :)
Well it did have a few other issues like a/c just was done. And me being 18, I don’t exactly have money to get a 700+ rebuild or a 2000 new transmission. It’s not like I went without a fight, just not much I could do. But I’ll be getting a new one in a couple months.
I still got the fastest Kia on the east coast, so at least I got my other baby.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006’s 4L65 gave out around 86,000 miles. Previous owner beat crap out of it and never had it serviced. Bummer. But I had it rebuilt for around 2500 and it has been pretty awesome ever since. Rebuilder that did the work for me knows what he’s doing and I’m glad I chose him.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My next goal is learn to put a 4l60e together and maybe even do minor upgrades, I had my 4l60e out the last few weeks while doing a rear main. I also took the time to fix my stripped pan bolts, re-tapped and heli coiled them. I also took the time to replace my pump bushings and seal as they seemed to have been leaking previously. Took some time but unfortunately, I had the 2-4 band come loose on me from its anchor pin, "my own fault" and to add insult to injury my input drum also unseated"also my fault" I was pissed to say the least. Long story short, I had to remove the 2-4 servo, re-seat the reverse input drum into the input drum, then I had to seat the entire assembly back into the case, and reinstalled the 2-4 band back. I had to do it twice, since am a dumbo and I was moving things around after I did it the first time, and what do you know! I unseated the band from its pin again. That damn band! I will say it took more tire to remove the transmission from the truck than it did to install. Took me a good 5.5 hours to reinstall it back, note I didn't have a tranny jack and I had to wrangle the transfer case and bench it into position. What a nightmare, I was covered in auto trak ii fluid since i thought it would be wise to not have to refill it later, NOPE!! Lesson learned, live and learn guys, live and learn..........:mad: That band!

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
My next goal is learn to put a 4l60e together and maybe even do minor upgrades, I had my 4l60e out the last few weeks while doing a rear main. I also took the time to fix my stripped pan bolts, re-tapped and heli coiled them. I also took the time to replace my pump bushings and seal as they seemed to have been leaking previously. Took some time but unfortunately, I had the 2-4 band come loose on me from its anchor pin, "my own fault" and to add insult to injury my input drum also unseated"also my fault" I was pissed to say the least. Long story short, I had to remove the 2-4 servo, re-seat the reverse input drum into the input drum, then I had to seat the entire assembly back into the case, and reinstalled the 2-4 band back. I had to do it twice, since am a dumbo and I was moving things around after I did it the first time, and what do you know! I unseated the band from its pin again. That damn band! I will say it took more tire to remove the transmission from the truck than it did to install. Took me a good 5.5 hours to reinstall it back, note I didn't have a tranny jack and I had to wrangle the transfer case and bench it into position. What a nightmare, I was covered in auto trak ii fluid since i thought it would be wise to not have to refill it later, NOPE!! Lesson learned, live and learn guys, live and learn..........:mad: That band!
They’re super strong transmissions, but the next Denali I get I’ll be putting a race/ heavy duty transmission in it.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it did have a few other issues like a/c just was done. And me being 18, I don’t exactly have money to get a 700+ rebuild or a 2000 new transmission. It’s not like I went without a fight, just not much I could do. But I’ll be getting a new one in a couple months.
I still got the fastest Kia on the east coast, so at least I got my other baby.

If I were still 18 and didn't have a ton of cash or mechanical ability to deal with maintenance & repair issues on my own, I wouldn't touch another higher-mileage, older truck with a ten-foot pole.

Friendly advice: Stick with you Kia for a while and enjoy the lower risk & maintenance cost. :)

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What transmission isn't a "handgrenade"? It is a part of your vehicle that will eventually wear out like any other part. No voodoo about it. Upgrade the trans cooler and replace the fluid and filter to get the maximum life out of it.

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
If I were still 18 and didn't have a ton of cash or mechanical ability to deal with maintenance & repair issues on my own, I wouldn't touch another higher-mileage, older truck with a ten-foot pole.

Friendly advice: Stick with you Kia for a while and enjoy the lower risk & maintenance cost. :)

Cash ain’t the problem , I got

I respect that, and completely understand, but that ain’t in my personality. It ain’t the first Yukon I’ve had and won’t be the last, and plus I like the challenge. I’d rather go out and have something to chase rather than stay stagnant and settle for what I have. But I get what your saying just, that ain’t me.

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one in the '06 Silverado went pining for the fjords at 240,00 or so.
Cost about $2550 at the dealers in Norfolk for a rebuilt replacement installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas