4L65E Trans Is A Grenade Change My Mind

Are 4L65E transmissions a ticking time bomb?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpThomass

Reaction score
Update On My Denali;
52D32BFB-ED5D-4768-A4A7-2E966B4930EE.jpeg
My infamous Denali that I love and worked so hard for ****** me over Lmao.
After about a month of driving it, I noticed I had to go into higher RPMs to switch into the next gear. I had our family mechanic check it out and well the transmission is hanging on by a thread. He thinks it’s a 3-4 clutch pack failure and I agree since that’s the gears I have to go into a higher gear for. Anyways though, I know these transmission go hard but when they fail they fail. It’s literally a grenade. And although I have great insurance they deemed it unfixable and I had to sell it.
But uh here’s to a good fun month, with my baby.
Anybody have any experiences like this? Or any stories? Ig it would help me with the loss process

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
Have a junkyard install a used.
That’s what I was thinking, but that was super expensive, and I called a few places but there aren’t many around here. But it don’t matter now, it’s already sold and I’m just biding my time to save up for another one.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, but that was super expensive, and I called a few places but there aren’t many around here. But it don’t matter now, it’s already sold and I’m just biding my time to save up for another one.

Yeah I guess for the same amount you could find another "new to you" one. Sorry to hear man. I'm dreading the day mine takes a shit, I know I am damn well on borrowed time with my mileage.

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
Yeah I guess for the same amount you could find another "new to you" one. Sorry to hear man. I'm dreading the day mine takes a shit, I know I am damn well on borrowed time with my mileage.
Well that’s the thing, it only had 209k miles, and while thass a lot my previous Yukon had 311k before I sold that. But thanks, nice to feel I’m not exactly over reacting lol

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup! Sunshell let go at 160-180ish out of the blue. It would still be a hell of a lot cheaper for me to just get a rebuilt unit and install it my self. They run about 1.4k with a converter. Sure beats AAMCO charges 3.5k+ base for a complete 4l6xx build. I would say these transmissions seem to be like the russian roulette, some last over 250k easy some break way before 200k. It also depends on how they are handled and taken care of.

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
yup! Sunshell let go at 160-180ish out of the blue. It would still be a hell of a lot cheaper for me to just get a rebuilt unit and install it my self. They run about 1.4k with a converter. Sure beats AAMCO charges 3.5k+ base for a complete 4l6xx build. I would say these transmissions seem to be like the russian roulette, some last over 250k easy some break way before 200k. It also depends on how they are handled and taken care of.
Exactly but the next one I get I’ll be putting a heavy duty tranny in it.

Sean James

Reaction score
Same happened to my wife's Tahoe, '98 with 199K. The sunshell grenaded, I didn't have a clue what a sunshell was. Did a bunch of research and minimum $2,500-3K for shop to rebuild / replace with rebuilt. Screw it, truck had a pretty trashed interior from 10 years of kids, dogs, living on a ranch. But the motor always ran perfect. Sold it to a young guy for $500. Added another $2500 and found another '99 in cherry condition with 160K on it for 3K and an old Ruger I had laying around. This time I took months changing trans fluid, filter, synthetic oil, flush Radiator twice, change both diff fluids to syn, and new blue transfer case fluid changed twice, new brakes, etc. I'm not going to neglect it like the last one...especially the trans.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Same happened to my wife's Tahoe, '98 with 199K. The sunshell grenaded, I didn't have a clue what a sunshell was. Did a bunch of research and minimum $2,500-3K for shop to rebuild / replace with rebuilt. Screw it, truck had a pretty trashed interior from 10 years of kids, dogs, living on a ranch. But the motor always ran perfect. Sold it to a young guy for $500. Added another $2500 and found another '99 in cherry condition with 160K on it for 3K and an old Ruger I had laying around. This time I took months changing trans fluid, filter, synthetic oil, flush Radiator twice, change both diff fluids to syn, and new blue transfer case fluid changed twice, new brakes, etc. I'm not going to neglect it like the last one...especially the trans.
Got a pic of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518