4l60e help 2-4 band problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my wife said her envoy could pull my tahoe I know sounds like dumb kids but I said ok I'll even the field and she can put hers in 4wd and I'll keep mine in 2wd.

So we did and she pulled me a little then my tires dug a hole and no more yada yada I had mine in 1st gear but i was heavy on the throttle and it tried shifting to 2nd then bogged down and shifted to first. It did this a few times before I realised it and let off.

I go to work this morning and now the 1-2 shift is flaring slipping so I'm pretty sure I fried my 2-4 band. I checked the servo end play length and it's at a good 1/4 inch so yea

Question is. Is there shims I can buy to correct that or am I stuck with welding the pin.

Once the shift is completed second gear holds and is still strong so I'm pretty sure it just ate the band up.

Now I know at this point anything I do is just a band aid but that's all I need it to be I just need 2 or 3 months so I can ride my bike to work while I rebuild this trans.

OP
OP
C

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Do happen to know the length of the stock pin

HD_LS

Reaction score
My stock pin was 5.070 in, The Sonnax one was 5.158 in

OP
OP
C

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I dont think .088 is gonna do it. There is alot of play I'm thinking around .150 to .187 to get it to shift normally again

BentleyArnage

Reaction score
Ok so my wife said her envoy could pull my tahoe I know sounds like dumb kids but I said ok I'll even the field and she can put hers in 4wd and I'll keep mine in 2wd.

So we did and she pulled me a little then my tires dug a hole and no more yada yada I had mine in 1st gear but i was heavy on the throttle and it tried shifting to 2nd then bogged down and shifted to first. It did this a few times before I realised it and let off.

I go to work this morning and now the 1-2 shift is flaring slipping so I'm pretty sure I fried my 2-4 band. I checked the servo end play length and it's at a good 1/4 inch so yea

Question is. Is there shims I can buy to correct that or am I stuck with welding the pin.

Once the shift is completed second gear holds and is still strong so I'm pretty sure it just ate the band up.

Now I know at this point anything I do is just a band aid but that's all I need it to be I just need 2 or 3 months so I can ride my bike to work while I rebuild this trans.

2 issues. First is the band. It's probably the narrow band with the stock lining. Second, is the reverse input drum where the band rides. If you got it hot, it warped and you won't get full apply and grip. So you really need the new reverse input drum, the wide kevlar band, the Corvette or Sonnax servo. Sorry to give you the real answer that you didn't want.