454 Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shit, I guess I could do a 454 instead of a 6.0L? It might be easier to fine, cheaper. When I get the 4L80E from Monster Transmissions I'll make up my mind. What's the output on those, 255HP 400Foot Pound's Torque?

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

The Vortec 7400 (RPO L29)(≈454 cu in)

produces 290 horsepower (220 kW) at 4000 rpm and 410 lb·ft (556 N·m) at 3200 rpm.

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

I wonder how much more they weigh then the 6.0L? (LQ4)

I thought you were selling.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Nope. Gonna swap in a LQ4 I'm pretty set on, and a 4L65 or 4L80. Gonna wait till the trani starts really goin out though. I'm pretty sure I'll start before June.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool...your pretty handy are you gonna do it all yourself.

The only thing that scares me is the wiring and running dual PCMS. You also should take our your stock PCM and upgrade to the 411 for better tuning options.

gulleyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what trans are u going with ? that helps alot, u will be very surprised how much power it has.
Hey Mudder Trucker, I'm considering doing this to my '97 2dr Yukon 4x4. It has a pretty new tranny but it's the same type that came in it.
Do you think it'll burn up my tranny?
Will it be so squirrely I can't keep it on the pavement? lol
Will I need a new PCM or have to run dual PCM's?
How does that work?
Did I read here that I would need a new wiring harness for the tranny?

I like the idea of more power but I also haul my kids around in my Yukon, could the 454 be overkill? Maybe a 6.0 would be a better idea? What do you guys think?

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
Hey Mudder Trucker, I'm considering doing this to my '97 2dr Yukon 4x4. It has a pretty new tranny but it's the same type that came in it.
Do you think it'll burn up my tranny?
Will it be so squirrely I can't keep it on the pavement? lol
Will I need a new PCM or have to run dual PCM's?
How does that work?
Did I read here that I would need a new wiring harness for the tranny?

I like the idea of more power but I also haul my kids around in my Yukon, could the 454 be overkill? Maybe a 6.0 would be a better idea? What do you guys think?

Just reasding through the post, you will need the original computer harness from the truck the 454 came out of. Dual PCM's are used when converting to the 6.0 liter not the 454. As far as the tranny, the 3/4 ton trucks came stock with the 80E because they are beffier and can handle more power outputs than the 60E tranny's that came in our trucks. There are a few people here that have done the 80E swap in our trucks by mounting the tranny to the rear crossmemeber as the 80E is longer than the 60E we have. IF you have a vortec engine, the 454 came with 290 hp compared to the 255 the 350 came with. That said, you won't lose control and you should be able to keep it on the road. You will be using much more fuel though as the 454 is a big block and just consumes more gas. So, if you are going to do a 454 swap, I would recommend swapping the 80E tranny in as well because I'm not sure how long it will last... or if the 60E will even bolt up to the big block engine. Also, if you are considering buying a used engine, it's probably not a bas idea to rebuild the whole thing. New internal parts, gaskets, performance cam, maybe some headers and a nice exhaust, performance ignition parts etc. Better to do the rebuild now while it's out and not yet installed rather than running into a problem down the road.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BBC would be sick.
4L80E would be the only tranny option for a BB or 6.0. Unless you went manual.

gulleyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I'm having trouble getting a misfire diagnosed in mine right now. There was speculation of internal engine damage so I was weighing options and came across a 454 and a 383 on craigslist for under $1k. Don't want to replace my tranny though because it's new. Guess I'll look at the 383 if we can't get mine running right. Those are just drop in and retune the ECM right?

Thor2door95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hi i have been thinking about doing a 454 swap in my 95 2dr tahoe, its my first tahoe, i read on here but i assumed yall all have the 4dr version so i didnt know it the length of the whole drive train after the tranny swap would be too long for a 2 dr? anybody know please fill me in. thanks

camohoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing the swap in my 98 2dr tahoe, just got old 350 pulled so lots of work ahead of me any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have the newly built 454 and computer and harness for that motor what other major things will I need?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01