454 Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99chevytahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My friend has been talking to me about doing a 454 swap into his 99 Tahoe. He said that if he finds one in a truck that it will bolt right up and will not need any modifications. I am a little hesitant about it fitting and the transmission being able to handle it. I'm not much of a truck guy this is my first Tahoe, so any help will be appreciated thanks.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey welcome zack, there's a guy here "MUDDER TRUCKER" that i believe has done a 454 swap into his truck. i'm sure he'll pop up soon.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
The 454 engine WILL fit in the engine bay, but I wouldn't mount it up to the 4L60E tranny... tranny won't last long that way for sure. I wouldn't say it's a "plug and play" transplant as you're gonna have to have a new computer program (flash) and a new harness to run the tranny properly. Not to mention the exhaust. As long as you know what you're getting into, sounds like it would be a fun project.

A few folks have done this (and other engine swaps) before.... which makes it a bit easier for you - many of the kinks have been discovered and worked through already. :D I wish you the best in your endeavors... and have fun!!!

MUDDER TRUCKER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep i got it done in mine! need the harness and comp for that motor, i have the 4l80e bolted to mine, find a burban with a 454 and a 4l80e and use the comp and harness from that truck. prob find a rolled or totaled one at a junk yard. check out craigslist. keep me posted and ask me any question u have!!! good luck

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

u will have plenty of room in the bay.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Shit, I guess I could do a 454 instead of a 6.0L? It might be easier to fine, cheaper. When I get the 4L80E from Monster Transmissions I'll make up my mind. What's the output on those, 255HP 400Foot Pound's Torque?

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

The Vortec 7400 (RPO L29)(≈454 cu in)

produces 290 horsepower (220 kW) at 4000 rpm and 410 lb·ft (556 N·m) at 3200 rpm.

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

I wonder how much more they weigh then the 6.0L? (LQ4)

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I think the LQ4 has more power output, but WHEN the TQ is applied is the big difference. Not to mention the computer, harness, and mounting points are way different between the generations. Not that you can't make it work, just that it'll take a little more thought/effort into doing so. Both types of swaps have been done successfully.

OP
OP

99chevytahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yea, hey Mudder Trucker is there much more top end speed, or not cause of the weight? im sure there is plenty of tourque though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf