4 wheel drive problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roger L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
05 yukon does not go into 4wheel drive, lights on the switch are all usually off, yesterday on the hyway, the 4low light came on, a scanner shows the computer is getting a signal from the switch, but that's all it says, any ideas?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 yukon does not go into 4wheel drive, lights on the switch are all usually off, yesterday on the hyway, the 4low light came on, a scanner shows the computer is getting a signal from the switch, but that's all it says, any ideas?

Welcome Roger. Do you have a access to a scan tool that can pull these kinds of codes? It might just be the switch but codes will point you into the right direction for solving this.

OP
OP
R

Roger L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome Roger. Do you have a access to a scan tool that can pull these kinds of codes? It might just be the switch but codes will point you into the right direction for solving this.
I had it scanned but the scanner wouldn't nail it down, today the red neutral light came on while I was driving

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it scanned but the scanner wouldn't nail it down, today the red neutral light came on while I was driving

They found no codes? That is odd, there should be codes, even a UXXX code if the transfer case module for example stopped communicating. If you want to start shotgunning it, start with the control module there on the dash. Do some searches on here from now back to 2017, I know we've been over this one before but my memory is not so good to remember the details.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bet it's the dash switch or the encoder motor on the TC. Codes might help, @Roger L.

Which TC? NP246 (see round metal tag on the TC)?

OP
OP
R

Roger L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The motor was replaced a couple years ago, I might take chance and get a new switch. I don't know which TC it is. I'd rather be driving my 96 Suburban

OP
OP
R

Roger L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a new switch, plugged it in, happy camper.
The new switch lasted two weeks, put in another new one, it lasted two weeks. Napa called the companies tech line and they said the control module is probably feeding back to the switch and burning it out? Anybody ever hear of such a thing?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Roger L, post a pic of the dash switch. Also do you know which transfer case you have? (see post #5)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98