4.8l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phr3ak38

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
new to the forums. just bought a 2009 tahoe with the 4.8l what i was curious about was exhaust and normal bolt on performance. i notice that 99% of everything i find so far over the last few days for headers exhuast cat backs all say th 5.3 so im curious if the 4.8 and the 5.3 have the same heads and exhaust and bolt paterns to where i can buy a 5.3l cat back and bolt it to my exhaust and headers fora 5.3l and bolt it to the heads on my 4.8l and it all work? or do i need to find 4.8l headers and cat backs?

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine Mods

Take your 4.8 and any money you are planning to spend on it, save it... sell the truck and get the 5.3L...

I'm not being mean, I'm being honest... If you want to add power, why not get the 5.3L or an 08 with the 5.3L...

I'd have loved the 6.2L but I didn't know it was an option for my 09...

the 5.3 is good, I can't imagine much less however, and the MPG can't be that much better real world from the 4.8

Whenever you buy a car, always buy it with the biggest engine they offer.

You can always give a big engine less throttle, but you can never give a small engine more throttle...

bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the 4.8 in mine...i thought they didnt offer the 4.8 anymore...yes always go with the bigger motor, the 4.8 has to work harder going 70mph than the 5.3 or 6.2 in return meaning running higher rpms which in return worse gas mileage. The only thing i have done to mine is the Blackbear tune from Justin, it has really opened it up, it makes good power in high rpms

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow...I had to LOL at the 'sell the truck and get a new one with a bigger motor"

The 4.8, 5.3 and even 6.0 share the same exterrnal dims. Problems are, you add headers to a 4.8, make sure they are small diameter to keep velocity up.
A custom Black Bear tune for one, and maybe a gear swap if you add bigger tires/rims.

I have a 4.8, plan on eventually adding 4.10 gears, and it moves pretty good.

Nothing wrong with the 4.8, they just like to rev a little.

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunetly I also have the 4.8. When I bought it in 04' I was told it is only 10 horsepower difference from the 5.3 Now I wish I would have gotten the 5.3 only because I am happy with 4.8 It has been a very strong realiable! I get avg. about 20 miles to the gallon. I have to say I only added the K&N cold air, Hypertech tune, & Flowmaster exhaust & I can take a cold air intake 5.3 Tahoe & silverados. SO I assume a 5.3 with a little mods can be better. Later on down the road I will probably go bigger but for now it is good enough with no issues.

Joe1129uscg

Reaction score
Yes the 5.3 is better but the 4.8 is not the dog people always claim it to be, a buddy of mine did a Nelson tune with a cam and he spanks many 5.3 and 6.0 trucks. Dont sell your truck...

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engines

My first wrangler had a 2.5L in it... as I was 16 and didn't know any better. all the mods in the world would not make it as powerful or reliable as the 4.0L...

So, I sold it, and a few years later got one with the 4.0L :)

night and day difference... the 4.0L hauls ***, while the 2.5L sat there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purolator