4.11s or 3.73s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was going to change my gear ratio but after significant research I decided it was not really worth it from my perspective. My current 5.3 with an upgraded cam, TBSS, headers (I too have a volant CAI), TBS and the earlier mentioned BBP tune is pretty impressive. But HP/torque is like a drug - so I'm building a 6.0L engine in place of the gear ratio change.
If and when my 5.3 gives up the ghost, I too will consider the 6.0 changeover. I think that is the best bang for the buck. I would likely do a 9.5 14 bolt swap then too.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If and when my 5.3 gives up the ghost, I too will consider the 6.0 changeover. I think that is the best bang for the buck. I would likely do a 9.5 14 bolt swap then too.
The 6.0 (I have one in my Denali) is a day and night from the 5.3. I have (2) 5.3L's in my (2) 03 Tahoes. Plus there are (2) 5.3L's sitting in my garage that were rescued from salvage yards. Still deciding if one will in up in my 4th gen Corvette or not.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The 6.0 (I have one in my Denali) is a day and night from the 5.3. I have (2) 5.3L's in my (2) 03 Tahoes. Plus there are (2) 5.3L's sitting in my garage that were rescued from salvage yards. Still deciding if one will in up in my 4th gen Corvette or not.
So, are you saying that you like the 5.3 better? I did not respect my 5.3 that much but performed really well during my recent 15 day and 5500 mile trip in July. I now have a traditional tune on it from BBP and man, that thing woke up. Love it way better because the performance is there when I need it.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, are you saying that you like the 5.3 better? I did not respect my 5.3 that much but performed really well during my recent 15 day and 5500 mile trip in July. I now have a traditional tune on it from BBP and man, that thing woke up. Love it way better because the performance is there when I need it.
Im all for the 6.0. No replacement for displacement. A tuned 6.0 with a cam and exhaust along with some minor head work (Which I do not have yet) is a monster. The 5.3 do well for people that do not want to go with a 6.0. The 5.3 stock compared to the 6.0 isnt exactly a dog but there is a definite difference between the two and the 6.0 wins....of course it does, its bigger.
Much in the same way the gen 1 350 chevy makes the gen 1 305 chevy look like a dog only the 5.3 does manage to hold its own for towing, mileage and what not in stock form where the 305 wasnt anywhere near the beast that the 350 was during that period and the 305 commonly came apart when overworked with towing or weekend warrior street racing.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be better around town and it might not go down on the highway. The rpms will be higher but the load on the motor should be less (at normal highway speeds) because of the gears doing more work.

I'm channeling thoughts I've had that were confirmed by this fellow's experiences just last night:

Advance to about 9:38 for the relevent part about mileage, the whole thing is worth watching IMO.
Thank you for posting. Good video - I learned a few things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sowegatahoe87