383 stroker swap. any help/walkthroughs muchly appreciated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
foxrider251

foxrider251

Reaction score
sorry havent been on much worked over 100 hours in the past 6 days but thanks guys alot of good info in here so far, its gonna be another couple weeks until i can afford start buildng it, gonna start tearing everything out here in the next couple days tho if work tames down a bit. i think im gona tear the tranny out too at the same time and send it off to get rebuilt with some heavy duty clutches and shift kits. might as well while im this deep in er. then while im waiting on the tranny i can go through and redo all my u joints and what not

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not waist a plucking penny on the 60e if you plan on beating the balls out of it! Just go with a shift kit, cooler, and a deeper pan.

OP
OP
foxrider251

foxrider251

Reaction score
okay well one thing i forgot to mention is that the 383 is out of an 80's camaro, will it have all the sensor hookups in the block that i need? the head and everything isnt a big deal because itll be my vortec head as i said before but im just wondering about the block being older whether itll be compatible or not?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a non-vortec block you need to address the missing internal bypass, the easiest way is to have the machine shop drill the heads for it.

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about screw in studs if I'm running an LT4 hot cam. Thoughts? Also what size are the studs on the stock heads? 3/8??

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All small blocks had the 3/8ths stud from the factory, screw in is good insurance, with the right springs you won't NEED to touch them but it's good for that lil piece of mind it gives you knowing it won't easily pull out.

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the LS6 beehive springs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good choice, those are the ones I run in mine. You really don't need to swap the studs but like I said, it's piece of mind.

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. What about the other components like rockers/lifters/pushrods? I think I'm going to go with a cast/roller tip rocker but all my lifters looked good so I might re-use those. Thoughts?

Also when getting pushrods, is there any standard length or do you have to measure length, then buy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper