32 or 36mm fan clutch wrench? 2000 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancem

Reaction score
Looking like I might have a water pump going bad and need to have everything I need handy to do the job as the nearest parts place is 60 miles away. The only definitive answer that I can not find is what size is the fan clutch wrench? TIA

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Given your distance from the parts store, I'd do it in the parking lot there. It's an easy job, and will lower your risk of getting yourself in a bind where you are missing a tool, gasket, fluids, something breaks, etc. And they do tool rentals

IIRC it's 36mm, but that being said: most consumer stuff comes with a kit that should include both?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I'd also like to add that a pipe wrench or large adjustable wrench will work fine.

Not sure about your vehicle's history, but if it was in the salt belt at any point, that sucker can be on there TIGHT!

Usually I prefer a band wrench to hold the pulley steady. If it's too tight for that, you can get a tool that has these little dowel pins that fit in the water pump pulley. And if you still can't get it off, there's a tool that will let you use an air hammer as a sort of impact wrench to get the thing off.

I don't remember if its right hand thread or left hand thread, but you can tell which direction you need to loosen it by taking a loot at the angle of the fan blades. When running, the system is designed to torque itself. i.e. the force created by the resistance of the fan is opposite to that of the direction of rotation of the pulley, and will tighten it. So if you want to loosen it, apply force in the opposite direction.

Look at the fan. See it? Ok, now grab the blades and spin it so that it would be pulling air through the radiator into the engine bay. That's the way you want to turn it to get it off

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My -04 fan clutch was lefthand threads. Based on the marks on the "nut" flats, someone apparently used an air chisel to try to break it free but applied pressure in the wrong direction.

A band wrench would help a lot to hold the pulley while you apply pressure.

EDIT: mine took a 36mm wrench.

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used the rental tool for the fan, and then ended up smacking the wrench with a 5lb sledge hammer, aka the bfh came out. 3 or 4 shots and it was free.

OP
OP
L

Lancem

Reaction score
Thanks, I had a 32mm left over from a previous BMW ownership, and I sort of remembered it not fitting on my other GM vehicles, l have a tool to hold the pump while cranking on the fan so I should be good there. I've done this a bunch of times in my lifetime, just not on a 5.3. I have 5 other vehicles, so it's not so much a problem of not having a way to the parts store, it's just that another 120 mile round trip to get something I could have gotten before hand chafts my ass. I hate going to town anyways and going because of something I could have taken care of otherwise.... 99% of my parts I order from Amazon just so I don't have to go to town and typically they are cheaper there anyway. Oh and living in south west Texas, well there probably is a nut or bolt on this 18 year old vehicle that I couldn't break loose with a 3/8 drive ratchet, man I love SW Texas trucks!

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I had a 32mm left over from a previous BMW ownership, and I sort of remembered it not fitting on my other GM vehicles, l have a tool to hold the pump while cranking on the fan so I should be good there. I've done this a bunch of times in my lifetime, just not on a 5.3. I have 5 other vehicles, so it's not so much a problem of not having a way to the parts store, it's just that another 120 mile round trip to get something I could have gotten before hand chafts my ass. I hate going to town anyways and going because of something I could have taken care of otherwise.... 99% of my parts I order from Amazon just so I don't have to go to town and typically they are cheaper there anyway. Oh and living in south west Texas, well there probably is a nut or bolt on this 18 year old vehicle that I couldn't break loose with a 3/8 drive ratchet, man I love SW Texas trucks!
where abouts in SW Texas?

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having done this recently, I recommend the proper fan clutch tool with the pins that go into the water pump pulley and an adjustable wrench. My 01 is a standard R hand thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n