3 year, bumper to bumper warranty question (different first year?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pa-yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First post and thanks for all the great information on this site.

Just picked up our Denali XL today and when into the business office prepared to just say no to the warranty pitch. I have never purchased one in the past and wasn't going to today until the business manager told us that after the first 12 months of ownership, the bumper to bumper warranty only covers things that fail or are GM's fault, whereas in the first 12 months "everything is covered, even if you spill coffee on the power window switch."

He then proceeded to tell us the extended warranty removes this limitation and basically everything is covered for the entire 72 month term, including things that might be our fault. I meant to ask him to show me this 12 month language in GM's terms (he said it was there), but I forgot to and ended thinking this was now a decent investment, which we bought.

Now that its a few hours later, I realize two things. I see NOTHING in GM's warranty coverage that conveys a difference for the first 12 months compared to the 24 month balance. In in fact he was trying to deceive us, there is going to be heck to pay tomorrow.

And the extended warranty package we bought is a third-party, non-GM product - is that typical?

So I guess my question is, is there a difference in the first 12 months of GM's bumper to bumper warranty or did I fall for something? Thanks for any input.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just picked up our Denali XL today and when into the business office prepared to just say no to the warranty pitch. I have never purchased one in the past and wasn't going to today until the business manager told us that after the first 12 months of ownership, the bumper to bumper warranty only covers things that fail or are GM's fault, whereas in the first 12 months "everything is covered, even if you spill coffee on the power window switch."

He then proceeded to tell us the extended warranty removes this limitation and basically everything is covered for the entire 72 month term, including things that might be our fault. I meant to ask him to show me this 12 month language in GM's terms (he said it was there), but I forgot to and ended thinking this was now a decent investment, which we bought.

Now that its a few hours later, I realize two things. I see NOTHING in GM's warranty coverage that conveys a difference for the first 12 months compared to the 24 month balance. In in fact he was trying to deceive us, there is going to be heck to pay tomorrow.

And the extended warranty package we bought is a third-party, non-GM product - is that typical?

So I guess my question is, is there a difference in the first 12 months of GM's bumper to bumper warranty or did I fall for something? Thanks for any input.

100% BS. Go get your money back tomorrow morning.

Third party warranties are junk. Huge profit margins for dealers on them though.

OP
OP
P

pa-yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hosseface - thanks - I think so. Pure b.s.

I cannot believe I fell for it. I have bought a ton of new vehicles and know better. The interesting thing was when he told me the 12 month thing, I even said, "I never heard of something like that." But rather than going with my gut, I trusted him. I will indeed get my money back tomorrow and have a chat with the GM at the dealership.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He was jerking you around. They may at that dealership use that warrantee company as a third party supplemental claims to get what gm won't but I doubt it and if they are caught defrauding the company he will get blacklisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fell for that myself.. I originally purchased the "extended" warranty. After further research I felt I did the wrong thing but the warranty was added to the contract and was a done deal. Luck for us the vehicle wasn't delivered and the contract was void!! We ordered a Denali from another dealer and NO extended warranty, paint sealer, and interior coating will be purchased.

Was the extended warranty added to the vehicle purchase contract? If so can you get your money back since the contract was signed?

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if it was added to the contract and financed you are due your money back. The third party warranty company would then send the refund directly to your lender instead of to yourself if there's a lien

PokerMunkee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, get your money back. Need to put these slime balls in their place when they try to sell you this crap. Say..."Listen, I'm not able to afford this $70K SUV because I throw my money away. Don't waste my time by asking me again if I want to buy anything else, or the deal is over."

Better off using that money to take the Mrs or Mistress to Vegas and try to triple it.

Last edited:

Blumax

Reaction score

Here's what I know to be a fact. Factory warranties cover most everything if NOT everything in the first 12,000 miles. This period would be the only true bumper to bumper warranty. Between 12,000 and 36,000 miles the factory warranty is still considered "comprehensive" but does not include adjustments such as alignments and wiper blades which are covered for the first 12,000 miles. This has nothing to do with the decision to purchase a warranty. How long you plan to keep the vehicle and how many miles you drive should be the first thing to consider. Why even consider purchasing a warranty if your not going to keep the car past the factory warranty expiration? Just use some common sense when considering the purchase of a warranty and I never suggest you ask someone for advice on whether or not to purchase a warranty on a vehicle......unless they're willing to come to your rescue when a failure occurs. Yes dealers make a buck on warranties but good dealers don't look for cheap rates because they know the claims issues that follow cheap warranty rates. This is where the decision gets a little difficult. There are good, bad, and truly rip off warranties available. A good warranty can save your bacon and a bad warranty can do nothing but cost you so it only makes sense to put some effort into your decision to purchase or not. The BBB can be a great source of information but I prefer a more direct approach. I want to talk to people and a call to a couple of service managers in your area might provide the very thing that will help you make the decision. If a service manager tells you they don't honor that warranty then ask them why. Most quality warranties will pay a service facility with a credit card eliminating that "we didn't sell it so we don't honor it" routine. Reputations for paying claims both good and bad will not be a secret among these managers and they will truly enjoy helping you by providing honest answers to your questions.

yukontruckman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does GM even offer a factory backed extended warranty option? Or is everything typically third party?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet