3" catback exhaust upgrade. Surface treatment questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been to wet/rainy to do any work outside, but I was able to degrease, sand, prime, and paint the muffler with VHT stuff to match the rest of the exhaust system yesterday. Maybe in a week or so it'll be nice enough out to replace.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it installed, and mentioned it in the other thread, but want to update here for posterity.

New muffler after paint, compared to existing muffler with zero packing material... basically a header collector muffler. The AP Xcelerator is a straight-through muffler, but has packing material (think Magnaflow). After driving around for a few days now, the drone/resonance is much less... almost completely gone from where I sit in the car.

wHkIz3F.jpg

Since the new muffler was 2" longer than the original (28" vs. 26") I needed to shorten one of the pipes, and the intermediate pipe, off the cat., was the easy choice. You can also see how well the VHT primer & paint held up over the winter, with all that road-salt.

wRtjAgZ.jpg

New muffler needed some notches cut to allow for positive clamping.

jO18clk.jpg

Here it is mounted under the truck. Nice and tight.

SYFGimo.jpg
RRilu2X.mp4

I also replaced all the exhaust hangers with new pieces. The four that I pulled off appeared to be fine, but since I had new hangers, and was under there, I was gonna change them out.

Impressions: Quieter on startup; less bark. Much quieter in the cab while cruising, but can still hear some noise when I mash the gas pedal. The big deal is that there seems to be less resonance reverberating through the cabin at certain RPMs, which were pretty bad. I would have left it in, but if the backseat people don't get their brains rattled, I'm cool with it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie